Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Glossop and District

Summary

Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a war memorial commemorating those from Glossop and District who served in WW1 comprising the town hall, market and manorial rights, accompanied by a plaque.
Images
Setting Memorial Detail Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
Town Hall
High Street West
Glossop
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
SK13 8AP

NGR:
SK 03439 94054 ±5m
Location details:
The Town Hall is on the southern side of the road though it may not still be used as council offices. The market is adjoining the building to the south. The plaque is on the north face of the Town Hall facing onto the road.
Type
Overall type: Composite.


Overall condition: Fair. The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.

Description:

A cluster of stone buildings including the (former) Town Hall, the market hall, the market and various manorial rights. The north face of the Town Hall bears a bronze plaque in a sandstone frame. The plaque has a raised border of laurel leaves and bears an inscription in raised upright capital roman lettering.

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Town Hall Stone - - - Fair
Market Hall Stone - - - Fair
Documents - - - - Unknown
Plaque Bronze 1425 825 30 Fair
Frame Sandstone 1960 1025 c100 Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
BOROUGH OF GLOSSOP
THE TOWN HALL AND
MARKET
AND
CERTAIN MANORIAL RIGHTS
AND FRANCHISES
WERE PURCHASED FROM
LORD HOWARD OF GLOSSOP
AND GENEROUSLY PRESENTED
TO THE CORPORATION OF
GLOSSOP BY  ~  ~  ~
MR. & MRS. ISAAC JACKSON
HOLLY MOUNT GLOSSOP
IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF
GLOSSOP AND DISTRICT WHO
SERVED IN THE GREAT WAR
(1914 - 1918.)
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919) Totals
Action
Number died 0 0
Number served and returned 0 0
Total names 0 0
Administration
Custodian: Presumed to be High Peak Borough Council.

Local authorities:
From WW1: Glossop Parish Council; Glossop Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Unparished; High Peak Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History
19th June, 1919: The buildings and rights were conveyed to the Glossop Borough Council from Lord Howard at the expense of c£12000 borne by Mr and Mrs Isaac Jackson.

4th December, 1958: The buildings were listed Grade II, Heritage List for England number 1384269.

1970: The memorial lies within the Norfolk Square Conservation Area first designated in that year.

20th September 2016: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in fair condition and cared for.
References
Derbyshire Record Office, ref D5162/8/41-42: Duplicate conveyance of Glossop Market Place and Town Hall, and duplicate grant of fair rights, tolls, tallages and franchises, Francis Edward, Baron Howard of Glossop and his trustees to the Mayor, Aldermen and Burgesses of the Borough of Glossop, Includes plan, 19 Jun 1919.

Manchester Evening News, 9th November, 1918, p2: a report on the proposal to acquire the buildings and rights and to gift them to the borough.

Derby Telegraph, 25th March, 22, p6, col 4: a report on the acquisition of the buildings and rights and their gift to the borough.
Comments
Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson