Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

All Saints' Anglican Church - WW2

Summary

Derbyshire War Memorials: A description of a WW2 war memorial shrine in All Saints' Anglican Church, Old Glossop, Derbyshire.
Images

Setting Shrine Board
Locations

Last known location:
All Saints' Church
Church St
Old Glossop
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
SK13 7RN

NGR:
SK 14160 94843 ±5m
Location details:
This is the Church of England Parish Church at the eastern end of Church St at the junction with Church St South and Well Gate, and is not to be confused with All Saints' Roman Catholic Church at the western end of the same street. The shrine is on the north wall of the memorial chapel at the east end of the north aisle.
Type

Overall type: Shrine.


Overall condition: Good. The inscription is legible and the memorial is well cared for.

Description:

A wooden shrine comprising a carved figure of St Martin as a bishop with a mitre, crook and a goose. The figure surmounts an octagonal base and is attached to the wall by a wooden bracket. Below the shrine an oblong board bears a gilded incised inscription in upright capital block lettering.
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Figure Wood 660 190 190 Good
Bracket Wood 240 200 200 Good
Board Wood 80 230 10 Good
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.

* At the time of survey the reredos was obscured by a large piece of artwork and it was not practicable to measure it.
Inscription

IN MEMORY OF THOSE PARISHIONERS
WHO DIED IN THE WAR 1939-1945
FRANK CHAPMAN - HERBERT SILLS
ERNEST PARKER - SQUIRE HARRISON
RONALD PRIESTLEY
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict Second World War (1939-1945)
Number died 5
Number served and returned 0
Total names 5
Administration

Custodian: Presumed to be the Parochial Church Council

Local authorities:
From WW2: Glossop Parish Council; Glossop Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Unparished; High Peak Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History

4th December 1958 The church was listed Grade II, Heritage List for England number 1384237

21st August, 1970: The church lies within the Old Glossop Conservation Area first designated on that date.

29th September, 2015: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in good condition although the reredos was obscured by a piece of artwork..
References

Comments

Page © Roy Branson