Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

St Giles's Church

Summary

Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a war memorial window at St Giles's Church, Killamarsh, Derbyshire.
Images
Setting Memorial Inscription Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
St Giles's Church
Church La
Church Town,
Killamarsh
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
S21 1AS

NGR:
SK 46110 80959
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
At the west end of the south wall of the nave, next to the porch.
Type
Overall type: Window.


Overall condition: Fair. The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.

Description:

A two light stained glass window with a quatrefoil pane in the tracery. The external surface of the building bears a grey granite cill and tablet below the window, bearing the inscriptions inlaid in upright capital block lettering. The tablet is supported by a pair of concealed brackets.

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Window Stained glass 2450 1145 - Fair
Cill Grey granite 155 1835 285 Fair
Tablet Grey granite 720 560 70 Fair
Bracket x 2 Stone 650 500 50 Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
Cill:
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919) Second World War (1939-1945) Totals
Action Not stated
Number died 0 0 0
Number served and returned 0 0 0
Total names 0 0 0
THIS WINDOW WAS DEDICATED 7TH. JUNE 1919.
Tablet:
TO
HONOUR THE MEMORY OF
OUR FALLEN COMRADES
IN THE WAR
1914 - 1918.
WE ALSO HONOUR
THE MEMORY OF THOSE
WHO FELL IN THE WAR
1939 - 1945.
Administration
Custodian: Presumed to be the parochial church council.

Local authorities:
From WW1: Killamarsh Parish Council, Chesterfield Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Killamarsh Parish Council, North East Derbyshire District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History and Conservation
7th June, 1919: The memorial was unveiled by Mr N Clegg, secretary of the local branch of the Comrades of the Great War Association, and dedicated by the rector (possibly Rev J Septimus Powell).

7th July, 1989: The church was listed Grade II*, Heritage List for England number 1057656.

27th November 2017: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in fair condition and cared for.
References
The Courier; 14th June, 1919; p5 col3: a report on the unveiling ceremony.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph; 9th June, 1919; p5 col4: a stark report of the unveiling ceremony.
Comments
Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson