Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

2Lt R E Waddell

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a war memorial plaque to 2Lt Robert Waddell in St John's Church, Walton, Derbyshire.
Images
Setting Memorial Plaque Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
St John's Church
Walton Back La
Walton
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
S42 7LT

NGR:
SK 35859 69103
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The plaque is inside, at the west end of the north wall, mounted on a common backboard with two others.

Previous location:
St John's Church (Demolished)
Walton Back La
Walton
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
S42 7LT

NGR:
SK 35843 69104
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The church was on the site of the present Parish Centre.
Type
Overall type: Plaque.


Overall condition: Fair. The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.

Description:

An oblong metal plaque with a plain raised border and an inscription in raised upright capital roman lettering on a stippled ground. The plaque is mounted on a wooden backboard which it shares with two others.

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Plaque Metal 230 330 6 Good
Backboard* Wood 1190 600 15 Good
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
* This plaque shares the backboard with two others.
Inscription
TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND
IN MEMORY OF
ROBERT ERSKINE WADDELL
2ND. LT. 40TH. A.A . BATTERY R.A., T.A.
BORN SEATTLE WASH. U.S.A., OCT. 27. 1916.
DIED MILITARY HOSPITAL, LICHFIELD, SEPT. 23, 1938.
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict Non-combat death
in service.
Totals
Action
Number died 1 1
Number served and returned 0 0
Total names 1 1
Administration
Custodian: Presumed to be the Parochial Church Council

Local authorities:
From WW1: Walton Parish Council; Brampton and Walton Urban District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From WW2: Walton Parish Council; Chesterfield Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Holymoorside and Walton Parish Council; North East Derbyshire District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History
c1938-39: The memorial was installed in the original St John's Church.

2000s: The memorial was removed from the church prior to its demolition.

2005: The memorial was installed in the new St John's Church, built within the curtilage of the old one.

22nd January, 2006: The newly completed St John's Church was opened and dedicated by Rt Rev Alastair Redfern, Bishop of Derby.

25th January 2016: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in fair condition and well cared for.
References
Comments
Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson