Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Capt C E Buckley - Tablet

Summary

Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a war memorial tablet in St Peter's Church, Hartshorne, commemorating the non-combat death of Capt Charles Buckley.
Images
Setting Tablet Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
St Peter's Church
Church St
Hartshorne
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE11 7ER

NGR:
SK 32730 20834
(From online digital mapping.)
Location details:
On the south wall of the nave.
Type
Overall type: Tablet.


Overall condition: Fair. The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.

Description:

A white marble tablet on a black stone backboard. The nowy-headed tablet has a pointed arch top with a Christograph in relief in a quatrefoil panel at the head. It has rounded shoulders and a chamfered border bearing foliage in relief and a carved frieze at the foot bearing a fleuron motif within repeated lozenges. Two moulded corbel brackets have further foliage designs on the face. The black painted inscription is in sentence case gothic lettering with embellished capitals. The black stone backboard, perhaps marble or slate, has a gothic arch head and the maker's name incised at the bottom right corner.

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Tablet White marble 1300 680 80 Fair
Backboard Stone 1500 840 30 Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
Tablet:
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict Non-combat death. Totals
Action
Number died 1 1
Number served and returned 0 0
Total names 1 1
In memory of
Charles
Edward Buckley,
only son of The Revd. H. W. Buckley,
and Charlotte Margaret, his wife;
Captain in the P.C.O. Rifle Brigade,
who was accidentally killed
at Gunton, in Norfolk, Novr. 17th. 1868,
in the 33rd. year of his age.
He served through the whole of the Indian Mutiny
in 1857-8, with the P.C.O. Rifle Brigade,
and in the Camel Corps selected out of that regiment.
He was named by Sir Hugh Rose in his despatches
for gallantry in the Field at Calpee.
This tablet is erected by numerous friends,
in token of their regard for his character
as a Christian, a Soldier, and a Gentleman,
and of their deep sympathy with
his bereaved parents.
"Beloved, let us love one another: for love is
of God; and every one that loveth is born of
God, and knoweth God."  1, JOHN, IV, 7.
Foot of backboard:
HALL, DERBY.
Administration
Custodian: Presumed to be the parochial church council.

Local authorities:
From WW1: Hartshorne Parish Council; Hartshorne and Seals Rural District Council. Derbyshire County Council.
From WW2: Hartshorne Parish Council; Repton Rural District Council. Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Hartshorne Parish Council; South Derbyshire District Council. Derbyshire County Council.
History
Unknown date: The memorial was made by Hall, monumental mason of Derby, probably the successor to Thomas Hall, Marble Mason.

19th January, 1967: The church was listed Grade II, Heritage List for England number 1334593.

10th September, 2016: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Anne Branson. It was in fair condition and cared for.
References
Comments
The P.C.O. Rifle Brigade was an experimental unit fully named the Prince Consort's Own Rifle Brigade and eventually became the Rifle Corps.

Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson