Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial
Title
Ingleby, Foremarke and Milton
Images
Setting Memorial Tablet
Locations
Last known location:
Ingleby Primitive
 Methodist Chapel
  (Redundant)
Un-named lane
 between Repton
  and Swarkestone.
Ingleby
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE73 7HW

NGR:
SK 35009 26914
From online digital mapping.
Location details:
The chapel is on the south side of the lane, opposite Ivy Cottage. The memorial is on the north wall, facing the road.
Type
Overall type: Tablet.


Overall condition: Fair. The inscription is legible.


Description:

A rectangular white limestone tablet with a cornice and reverse curved pediment at the head. The pediment has a victor's laurel wreath in relief at the centre. The tablet is supported on two brackets at the foot. The inscription is incised in upright capital lettering coloured black.

Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Whole Limestone 1030 780 - Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
1914 1919
INGLEBY FOREMARKE AND MILTON
IN GRATEFUL MEMORY
OF THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES
IN THE GREAT WAR.
GUY HARTLEY ARNOLD
WILLIAM BAILEY
JAMES BAMFORD
SAMUEL FORMAN
RUPERT ARNOLD
FREDERICK BAMFORD
LEONARD DRISCOLL
PERCY STEVENSON
J. L. MALPASS

Conflicts and people commemorated

Conflict First World War (1914-1919)
Number died 9
Number served and returned 0
Total names 9
Administration
Custodians: —

Local Authorities:
From WW1: Ingleby Parish Council; Repton Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Ingleby Parish Council; South Derbyshire District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History
27th July, 1922: The memorial was unveiled by Sir Francis Burdett, Bart and dedicated by the vicar.

Unknown date: The name of J. L. Malpass is not included in the press report of the unveiling, is a different style, and may have been added later.

29th July, 2008:  The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. There was some spalling on the tablet face and the left bracket had been broken off some years previously.
References
Derby Telegraph; 29th July, 1922; p4: A report of the unveiling..
Comments
An identical memorial was provided at Milton at the same time.

According to a local resident, who attended the chapel as a child, it was closed and sold to a private owner “many years ago”.

The building is also reported to have been a school.

Ingleby Foremarke and Milton are three adjacent small villages near Repton. Formarke is now usually spelt Foremark.
Page © Roy Branson