Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

M Ward (Lost)

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 war memorial window, formerly in the Diocesan Training College at Derby, commemorating Maud Ward who was lost when RMS Leinster was torpedoed.

Can you tell us what happened to this memorial?
Images
No images are available.
Locations
Last known location:
Diocesan Training College (Redundant)
Uttoxeter New Rd
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE22 3WZ

NGR:
SK 34154 35954
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The window was in the south side of the sanctuary of the chapel in the former college.
Type
Overall type: Window.


Overall condition: Lost.
Can you tell us what happened to this memorial?

Description:

A two-light stained glass window in a pointed arch opening. The two trefoil-headed lights portrayed a scene representing the Annunciation: The Angel Gabriel, standing with his left arm raised, occupied the left light; the Virgin Mary, also standing, facing towards him, occupied the right light. A cusped quatrefoil pane occupied the head of the opening. The colours, and any inscriptions, are not known.

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Window Stained glass - - - Lost
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
[Not known]
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919) (Civilians) Totals
Action Sinking of RMS Leinster
(10th October, 1918)
Number died 1 1
Number served and returned 0 0
Total names 1 1
Administration
Custodian: Not known

Local authorities:
Before 1974: Derby County Borough Council (Derby Corporation)
From 1974 to 1997: Derby District (later Borough and from 1977 City) Council and Derbyshire County Council.
Since 1997 the unitary authority has been Derby City Council.
History and Conservation
1921: The window was executed by James Eadie Reid and installed in the chapel. It cost £100 which was contributed by staff, former students and friends.

1977: The college merged with the Derby Lonsdale College of Higher Education.

28th June, 1985: The building was listed Grade II, Heritage List for England number 1230228.

1992: The Derbyshire College of Higher Education (incorporating the Derby Lonsdale College) became the University of Derby.

c2000: The college was closed and the ecclesiastical components of the chapel were removed. It is not known whether thay were removed to the main site of the University of Derby, to the Diocese of Derby, or disposed of.

c2000: The buildings of the former college were converted to office accommodation.

26th January 2018: The chapel was visited by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot and it was confirmed that the window had been removed.
References
Derbyshire Advertiser; 20th February, 1920; p10 col2: the annual report of the college managers refers to the window then proposed.

Margaret Dobson; The First Hundred Years of the Diocesan Training College Derby; 1951; p25: mention of the installation of the window.

Philip Lecane; Torpedoed!: The R.M.S. Leinster Disaster; Periscope Publishing Ltd 2005; ISBN 1904381308; p104: a brief reference to the window.

Royal Commission on Historic Monuments; Derbyshire Record Office; reference D6858/UL: a collection of monochrome photographs taken for the commission after the college closed, includes one of the south part of the sanctuary, including about threequarters of the window.
Comments
Maud Elizabeth Ward was a former member of the college staff and at the time of her death was personal secretery to Lt Col Douglas Proby.

Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson