St Paul's Church Schools – WW1 Roll of Honour (Lost)
Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

St Paul's Church Schools – WW1 Roll of Honour (Lost)

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a descriptionof a WW1 war memorial roll of honour at St Paul's Church Schools, Little Chester, Derby.

Can you tell us what happened to this memorial?.
Images
No images are currently available.
Locations
Last known location:
St Paul's School
 (Demolished)
Mansfield St
Little Chester
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE1 3RJ

NGR:
SK 35414 37063
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The school was at the west end of Mansfield St, on the north side, next to the Methodist Church. The memorial is thought to have been mounted on a wall in a corridor.
The locality has been called Little Chester since Roman times, but is now more widely known as Chester Green.
Type
Overall type: Roll of honour Overall condition: Lost.

Can you tell us what happened to this memorial?.


Description:

A framed and glazed roll of honour. The roll comprised three sheets arranged side by side in an oaken frame which may have had a pedimented top. The centre panel bore the names of those who fell and the two side panels the names of those who served (and presumably returned).

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Roll of honour (x3) Paper c650 c400 - Lost
Frame Oak, glass c1400 c1650 c150 Lost
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
ST PAUL'S SCHOOL
DERBY
NAMES OF OLD SCHOLARS WHO GAVE THEIR
LIVES FOR GOD, KING & COUNTRY IN THE
GREAT EUROPEAN WAR 1914 - 1919
[Names]
THEY DIED THAT WE MIGHT LIVE
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919) Totals
Action Not stated
Number died  142  142
Number served and returned  940  940
Total names 1082 1082
Note: The names are not currently known.
Administration
Custodian: Not known

Local authorities:
From WW1: Derby County Borough Council (Derby Corporation)
From 1974: Derby District (later Borough and from 1977 City) Council and Derbyshire County Council.
From 1997: The unitary authority has been Derby City Council.
History and Conservation
January, 1919: A meeting of parishioners decided that the names should be displayed in the school.

26th May, 1922: The roll of honour was unveiled by Rev W H Symonds, late vicar of St Paul's Church, and dedicated by Rt Rev Dr Charles Abraham DD, Bishop Suffragan of Derby

1965: The school was closed. It is not known what happened to the roll of honour: there has been a suggestion that it was displayed in a side chapel of the nearby St Paul's Church but it is possible that it was confused with the church's own roll of honour which is of similar design and definitely was displayed there.

1965: The school was demolished
References
Derby Telegraph;27th January, 1919; p2: a report on the parishioners' meeting.

Ibid; 27th May, 1922; p6: a report on the unveiling and dedication ceremony.
Comments
Although only a single building, the school comprised separate infants, boys and girls departments which seem to have been referred to as schools in the plural. Two school rooms, also now lost, were dedicated at the same ceremony. It is arguable whether the rooms and the roll constitute a single memorial, but in this inventory they are treated as separate memorials.

Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson