St Paul's Church Schools – WW1 School Rooms (Lost)
Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

St Paul's Church Schools – WW1 School Rooms (Lost)

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of WW1 war memorial school rooms at St Paul's Church Schools, Little Chester, Derby.
Images
No images are currently available.
Locations
Last known location:
St Paul's School
 (Demolished)
Mansfield St
Little Chester
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE1 3RJ

NGR:
SK 35414 37063
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The school was at the west end of Mansfield St, on the north side, next to the Methodist Church.
The locality has been called Little Chester since Roman times, but is now more widely known as Chester Green.
Type
Overall type: School rooms Overall condition: Lost.


Description:

An extension to the school comprising a corridor and two school rooms. The rooms were described as being for the use of teachers, the medical inspection of children, and for interviewing parents.

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Building Unknown - - - Lost
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
[None]
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919) Totals
Action Not stated
Number died 0 0
Number served and returned 0 0
Total names 0 0
Administration
Custodian: None

Local authorities:
From WW1: Derby County Borough Council (Derby Corporation)
From 1974: Derby District (later Borough and from 1977 City) Council and Derbyshire County Council.
From 1997: The unitary authority has been Derby City Council.
History and Conservation
January, 1919: A meeting of parishioners decided that the school rooms should be provided as a memorial.

c1921-2: The building was constructed.

26th May, 1922: The rooms were dedicated by Rt Rev Dr Charles Abraham DD, Bishop Suffragan of Derby

1965: The school was closed and subsequently demolished.
References
Derby Telegraph;27th January, 1919; p2: a report on the parishioners' meeting.

Ibid; 27th May, 1922; p6: a report on the dedication ceremony.
Comments
Although only a single building, the school comprised separate infants, boys and girls departments which seem to have been referred to as schools in the plural. A roll of honour, also now lost, was unveiled at the same ceremony. It is arguable whether the rooms and the roll constitute a single memorial but in this inventory they are treated as separate memorials, mainly because they have different histories.

Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson