Derby Municipal Boys School - Plaque
Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Derby Municipal Boys School - Plaque

Summary

Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 war memorial commemorating the fallen of Derby Municipal Boys School, Abbey St, now at The Bemrose School, California, Derby.
Images
Setting memorial Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
Northwest corridor
The Bemrose School
Uttoxeter New Road
California
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE22 3HU

NGR:
SK 33627 35631
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
On the southwest wall, at the junction of the corridors. It has also been reported as previously being in the library.

Previous location:
Central Hall
Derby Municipal Boys
 School (demolished)
Abbey Street
St Luke's
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE22 3SP

NGR:
SK 34867 35877 ±5m OR
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
No further details are currently available.
Type
Overall type: Plaque. Overall condition: Good. The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.


Description:

A wall mounted oblong bronze plaque. At the head is a heavy moulded cornice bearing the name of the school incised in upright capital roman lettering and a superimposed boss with an heraldic design including helm and mantling, with two round shields: that to the left containing the school monogram in gold against a blue ground; that to the right containing the 'Buck in the Park' badge of the Derby County Borough Council which was also the school's badge, and with a narrow bead and reel astragal below. To each side is a classical ornamentation with bound fascine torus, and at the foot is a further, smaller, moulded cornice, also with narrow bead and reel astragal. The main panel of the plaque has an inscription in a central column with names in two further columns to each side, all in raised capital roman lettering.

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Plaque (overall) Bronze 950 1760 240 Good
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
DERBY MUNICIPAL SECONDARY SCHOOL
ADAMS G. W.EARLEY F. T.IN AFFECTIONATE
REMEMBRANCE
OF THOSE FROM
THIS SCHOOL
WHO GAVE
THEIR LIVES
IN THE WAR
1914-1918
THIS TABLET
IS PLACED HERE
BY OLD BOYS
AND FRIENDS
LANCASTER H. V.SEPHTON R. W.
ASTIN A. S.EITKEN G.LEE R. G.SHAW W. H.
BARNES B. G.EYRE W. G.LEWIS J.SHELDON R. E.
BARTON E. H.FINCH T.LONNON S.SHEPPERSON H.
BEER F. J.FINLEY J. N.MALPASS J. L.SMEDLEY P.
BINGHAM H. W.FISHER R. L.MEADS J. A.SPRENGER O. H.
BIRCH-THORPE W. N.FORD A. L.MILLS T. A. R.STATHAM A.
BLACK J. D.GAMBLE J. W.OLIVER A. R.STEWART N. I.
BOTT W. R.HAMPTON J.OLIVER F. R.TAYLOR G.
CASTLE R. L.HANSON W. E. H.OTTEWELL H. D.THOMPSON A. M.
CHAMBERS J. F.HARDY C. E.PARKIN G. F.TROTMAN R. E.
CHATTERTON S. V.HILL R. E.PHILLIPS S.VOLLER S. G.
CLARKE A. C. G.HOUSE R. J.POTTS E. R.WALTERS F. G. S.
CLULOW F. R.JACKSON F. W.RADFORD W.WHEATCROFT A. E.
CROSLAND A. S.JONES H.REED G. V.WHEATCROFT W. H.
DICKERSON J. M.JONES S. J.SEATON J. C.WHITE G. E.
DYER F. E.KERRY S. E.SEATON J. F.WITT C.

Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919) Totals
Action Not stated
Number died 68 68
Number served and returned  0  0
Total names 68 68
Administration
Custodian: Presumed to be the school governors.

Local authorities:
From WW1: Derby County Borough Council (Derby Corporation)
From 1974: Derby District (later Borough and from 1977 City) Council and Derbyshire County Council.
From 1997 the unitary authority has been Derby City Council
History and Conservation
12th September, 1902: Derby Municipal Secondary School for Boys was founded in Abbey Street.

1st April, 1922: The memorial was unveiled in the Abbey Street building by Capt Harold Beaumont, former captain of the school and president of the old boys association, and dedicated by The Ven Dr E S Noakes MA LLD, Archdeacon of Derby. Also present were Lord Roe (sometime member of parliament for Derby, mayor of Derby and chairman of the education committee) and a large gathering of people associated with the school.

1928–1930: New school buildings, designed by the architect Alexander Macpherson, were built on a new site on Uttoxeter New Road at a cost of £71,746.

1930: On occupation of the new buildings, the school was renamed Bemrose School and became a boys grammar school. The memorial was removed from the Abbey Street building and re-erected in the new school.

1975: Bemrose School was merged with Rykneld Boys' Secondary Modern School, became a comprehensive school and was renamed Bemrose Community School.

2009: The school became a Foundation Trust school and its name was changed to The Bemrose School.

27th June, 2018: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in good condition and cared for.
References
Derby Telegraph; 1st April, 1922; p5: An extensive account of the unveiling ceremony.
Comments
Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson