Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Derbyshire Freemasons - WW1 (Lost)

Summary

Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a lost WW1 war memorial tablet comemmorating Derbyshire Freemasons, formerly in Derby and later in Littleover.
Images
Memorial Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Locations
Last known location:
Freemasons' Hall
457 Burton Rd
Littleover
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE23 6XX

NGR:
SK 33535 34324
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The memorial was inside the building.

Previous location:
Masonic Hall (Demolished)
Gower St
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE1 1AW

NGR:
SK 35225 35949
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The memorial was in the main entrance to the building.
Type
Overall type: Tablet. Overall condition: Lost


Description:

Originally an upright oblong marble or alabaster tablet in a heavy oaken frame.

Glossary
Components:

ComponentMaterialHeightWidthDepthCondition
Tablet StoneNot knownNot knownNot knownLost
FrameOakNot knownNot knownNot knownLost
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
Bro. H. B.Dixon.(Capt. Sherwood Foresters)P.M.Dorothy Vernon,
2129.
Bro. L. G. Dickinson.(Lt. Sherwood Foresters)Arkright, 1495.
Bro. Wilfred Holden.(Tpr. Derbyshire Yeom'y.)Beaureper, 787.
Bro. H. E. Cox.(Sgt. Maj. Derbyshire Yeom'y)Royal Sussex, 353.
Bro. W. D. Drury-Lowe.(Capt. Gren: Guards)Tyrian, 253.
Bro. H. F. Severne.(Lt. Sherwood Foresters)Derwent, 884.
Bro. J. D. Snape.(Corp. Kings Royal Rifles)Ecclesburne, 2425.
Bro. A. C. Brooke-Taylor.(Capt. Manchester Reg't)Dorothy Vernon, 2129.
Bro. F. W. Wragge.(Maj. Sherwood Foresters)P.M. Carnarvon, 1739.
Bro. H. J. Coles.(Capt. Sherwood Foresters)Tyrian, 253.
Bro. D. Cuthbert.(Capt. Royal Fusiliers)Devonshire, 625.
Bro. J. W. Raistrick.(Lt. West Yorkshire Reg't)Beaureper, 787.
Bro. F. Martin.(Pte. Manchester Reg't.)Hadfield, 3584.
Bro. J. H. Marsden, M.C.(Capt. Sherwood Foresters)Scarsdale, 681,
& Cavendish, 3055.
Bro. F. L. H. Jackson.(Lt. Royal Naval Division)Rutland, 1179.
Bro. A. Griffiths.(Pte. Sanitary Corps)Royal Alfred, 1028.
Bro. E. J. Walthew, D.S.O.(Lt. Col. Royal Engineers.)Buxton, 1688.
Bro. G. H. Buckley.(Pte. Kings Own Scottish Bdrs)Hartington, 1085.
Bro. Arnold Roe.(Pte. Hon: Artillery Coy.)Arboretum, 731.
Drowned at sea through Enemy Action:-
Bro. Thomas Webb. SW Hadfield, 3584.

Conflicts and people named:
ConflictFirst World War (1914-1919)Totals
Action or eventNot stated
Number died2020
Number served and returned 0 0
Total names2020
Administration
Custodian: None

Local authorities:
From WW1: Derby Borough Council.
From 1974: Derby Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1977: Derby City Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1997: Derby City Council.
History and Conservation
15th March, 1924: The memorial was unveiled in the main entrance of the Gower St premises by His Grace Victor Christian William Cavendish, 9th Duke of Devonshire KG, GCMG, GCVO, TD, PC, JP, FRS, Provincial Grand Master of Derbyshire Freemasons and dedicated by Bro. Rev. George Richard Ekins, Provincial Grand Chaplain.

1972: The memorial was transferred to Littleover Grange which had been purchased, extended and opened in October 1972 as the headquarters of the Derbyshire Freemasons as a replacement for the Gower St property which was scheduled for redevelopment.

2nd December, 1990: The building was gutted by a fire and the memorial was destroyed.
References
Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield Herald; 23rd February, 1924; p14: a notice of the forthcoming unveiling ceremony.

Nottingham Evening Post; 15th March, 1924; p4col2: a report of the unveiling ceremony.

Craven, Maxwell, 'Littleover Grange, Derbyshire', The Georgian Group Journal, Vol. XV, 2006, pp. 215-228: a history of Littleover Grange.

Website viewed on 22nd August, 2021: http://derbyshiremason.org/Pages/History.aspx
A history of the Derbyshire Freemasons.

Website viewed on 22nd August, 2021:
https://picturethepast.org.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/drby007608/posterid/drby007608.html
Fire at Littleover: a Picture the Past photograph (Ref DRBY007608) of the burnt out shell of the Grange, attributed to The Derby Evening Telegraph, April 1991 but clearly taken shortly after the fire on 2nd December, 1990 as firefighters are still in attendance.
Comments
Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional
Page © Roy Branson