Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Capt W Wood

Summary

Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a war memorial tablet to Capt Wilfred Wood at the Holy and Undivided Trinity Church, Edale, Derbyshire.
Images
Setting Memorial Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
Holy and Undivided
 Trinity Church
Un-named road
Edale
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
S33 7ZA

NGR:
SK 12326 85769 ±5m
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The memorial is on the north wall of the nave. The churchyard lies on the western side of the un-named road, known by some as Marys Lane, leading to Grindsbrook Booth and Field Head. The road is a principal route to Kinder Scout, the Pennine Way and various countryside activities. Vehicular access is restricted and visitors should use the car park at Edale and walk from there.
Type
Overall type: Tablet Overall condition: Fair. The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.


Description:

A nowy-headed white marble tablet with the badge of the Royal Garrison Artillery at the head, a grenade in each top corner, all in shallow relief, and an incised inscription in upright and sloping capital block lettering infilled in black.

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Tablet White marble 510 500 20 Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
IN HONOURED AND
LOVING MEMORY OF
WILFRED WOOD,
CAPTAIN 118TH. SIEGE BATTERY,
ROYAL GARRISON ARTILLERY.
ELDEST SON OF
FREDERICK & LILLIE M. WOOD,
(OF EDALE)
HE WAS GASSED AT ST. QUENTIN,
MARCH 21ST., 1918, AND DIED AT THE
MILITARY HOSPITAL, MANCHESTER,
MARCH 15TH., 1919, AGED 27 YEARS.
"ONE OF GOD'S GENTLEMEN."
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919) Totals
Action Not stated
Number died 1 1
Number served and returned 0 0
Total names 1 1
Administration
Custodian: Presumed to be the parochial church council.

Local authorities:
From WW1: Edale Parish Council, Chapel en le Frith Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Edale Parish Council, High Peak Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History and Conservation
17 April 1951: The Peak District National Park was designated. The church lies within it.

24 September 1984: The church was listed Grade II, Heritage List for England reference 1334535.

19 November 1990: The Edale Conservation Area was designated. The church lies within it.

5th June, 2013: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in fair condition and cared for.
References
Comments
Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson