Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

War Horse (Lost)

Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a lost WW1 war memorial well dressing commemorating the war horse, at the Methodist Church of St John, Hayfield, Derbyshire.
Well dressing memorial Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Last known location:
Methodist Church of St John
New Mills Rd (A6015)
Nearest postcode:
SK22 2EX

SK 03582 86834
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
On the west side of the church.
Overall type: Well dressing Overall condition: Lost


A temporary well dressing tableau made from vegetation pressed into clay held in a wooden frame and comprising a triptych with a shallow triangular pediment and with a frieze at the base. The central panel depicted a riderless horse on the battlefield, startled by a nearby explosion. The volets each contained three small images contrasting between the two sides: top to bottom they comprised a countryside scene and a battlefield scene; a farmer and a soldier; a farm wagon and an artillery piece. All of the images were in natural colours and the inscription was in upright capital block lettering; white on a red ground on the pediment and black on a pale pink ground on the frieze.
The well dressing was displayed from 11th to 14th July, 2014 and was subsequently dismantled.


Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Mosaic Plant material, clay c1800 c1500 c50 Lost
Frame Wood c1800 c1500 c50 Lost
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919) Totals
Action Not stated
Number died 0 0
Number served and returned 0 0
Total names 0 0
Custodian: Presumed to be the members of the Methodist Church of St John

Local authorities:
From 1974: Hayfield Parish Council; High Peak Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History and Conservation
Spring 2014: The memorial well dressing was designed, constructed and erected by members of the Methodist Church of St John.

11th July, 2014: The memorial was blessed by the local clergy and photographed by Glyn Williams.

15th July, 2014: The dressing was dismantled and the components salvaged for future use.
Well dressing details are available from the site run by Glyn Williams.

Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson