Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Crew of Vickers Wellington MkVI W5795

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW2 war memorial tablet commemorating the crew of Vickers Wellington MkVI W5795 in St Andrew's Churchyard, Stanley, Derbyshire.
Images
Memorial Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
St Andrew's Churchyard
Station Rd
Stanley
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE7 6FB

NGR:
SK 41916 40409
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The church is on the east side of the road in the centre of the village. The memorial is about half way from the gate to the porch, on the south side of the path.
Type
Overall type: Tablet.


Overall condition: Good. The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.

Description:

A polished grey granite stone tablet on an oblong base. The tablet has a Royal Air Force badge at the head and an inscription in white mixed case upright block lettering.

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Tablet Grey granite 520 610 250 Good
Base Grey granite 75 750 350 Good
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
In Memory of
The Crew of Wellington Mk VI W5795
Who Tragically Lost Their Lives On
12th July 1942
In A Crash In the Quarry Farm Area Of This Parish.
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict Second World War (1939-1945) Second World War (1939-1945)
(Civilian)
Totals
Action
Number died 4 1 5
Number served and returned 0 0 0
Total names 4 1 5
SQN LDRCYRIL L. F. COLMORE37651  RAF
PLT OFFRKENNETH RADFORD123492 RAFVR
FLT SGTRONALD P. GILLOTT650284 RAF
FLT SGTARTHUR J. SMITH755349 DFM RAF
MRCLIFFORD V. ABBOTTCIV TEST OBSERVER
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
Administration
Custodian: Not known.

Local authorities:
From WW1: Stanley Parish Council; Shardlow Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Stanley and Stanley Common Parish Council; Erewash Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History
The memorial cost c£1500 grant-aided by the War Memorials Trust and funded by private donations, the principal donor being Mr Bernard Walters

11th July, 2004: The memorial was unveiled.

Unknown date: The memorial lies within the Stanley Conservation Area.

3rd July, 2008: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in good condition and cared for.
References
Comments
Mr Bernard Walters the Church Warden of St Andrews Church who had witnessed the crash as a 10 year old.

Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson