Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

St Mary's Mission Church

Summary

Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 and WW2 war memorial altar and triptych formerly in St Mary's Mission Church, Sawmills, Derbyshire.
Images
Setting Memorial Names Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
Sawmills Village Hall
11 Ripley Rd (A610)
Sawmills
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE56 2JQ

NGR:
SK 36258 52242
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The hall is on the north side of the road. The triptych is inside on the north wall.

Previous location:
St Marys Mission Church
 (Redundant)
2 Ripley Rd (A610)
Sawmills
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE56 2JQ

NGR:
SK 36040 52209
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The church was on the south side of the road. The altar was at the east end of the church and the triptych was on the wall to the north of it.
Type
Overall type: Altar Overall condition: Fair. The altar is lost but the triptych is in fair condition, the iinscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.


Description:

An altar supplemented by a glazed triptych board.

The wooden panelled altar was probably of oak and had a tall narrow panel to each side, with blind ogee tracery at the head, and three plain panels in the middle.

The triptych has a tall central panel with a plain latin cross at the head and the main inscription below. The left volet contains the WW1 names and the right one those for WW2. The names and inscriptions are painted in black upright capital roman lettering.

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Altar Wood - - - Lost
Central Panel
of triptych
Wood 740 515 75 Fair
Volet x 2 Wood, glass 605 230 45 Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
1914 - 1918
H BODEN
E BODEN
A CHINTON
J MURPHY
F RODGERS
H RODGERS
J RODGERS
C WAIN
J WHITE
TO THE
GREATER GLORY OF GOD
AND
IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF
THE FALLEN
IN TWO WORLD WARS
THE HIGH ALTAR
WAS ERECTED BY
THE
INHABITANTS OF THIS DISTRICT
JESU MERCY MARY PRAY
1939 - 1945
F HALL
A JACKSON
C RAY
J SMITH
C WADE

Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919) Second World War (1939-1945) Totals
Action Unspecified
Number died 9 5 14
Number served and returned 0 0  0
Total names 9 5 14
Administration
Custodian: Presumed to be Sawmills Village Hall (Registered Charity No 520543) in association with Bullbridge and Sawmills Civic Society

Local authorities:
From WW1: Heage Parish Council, Heage Urban District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From WW2: Heage Parish Council, Ripley Urban District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Ripley Town Council, Amber Valley Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History and Conservation
13th November, 1950: A meeting of the War Memorial Fund Committee decided that an altar and plaque should be installed in the church as a war memorial.

1950s: The altar and triptych were installed in the church.

Autumn 2013: St Mary's Mission Church closed and the triptych was moved to Sawmills Village Hall.

7th November, 2013: The triptych was rededicated by Rev Val Hart, vicar of St Anne's Church, Ambergate.

9th February, 2018: The Triptych was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in fair condition and cared for.
References
Ripley and Heanor News and Ilkeston Division Free Press; 17th November, 1950; p3: a report on the meeting of the War Memorial Fund Committee.
Comments
Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson