Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Church of All Saints

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 war memorial sculpture at the Church of All Saints, Youlgrave or Youlgreave, Derbyshire.
Images
Setting memorial Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
Church of All Saints
Alport La
Youlgrave or Youlgreave
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE45 1WS

NGR:
SK 21205 64382
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The church is at the junction of Bradford Rd and Alport La. The sculpture is at the east end of the north aisle. Note, however, that it is portable and may be moved from time to time.
Type
Overall type: Sculpture Overall condition: Pristine. The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.


Description:

A composite memorial comprising half of a sculpture, the other half of which is in Ypres Cathedral, Belgium. The combined parts consist of four tablets supporting a circular tabletop with church towers at the centre and four radiating panels of stained glass, each pair forming a bell shape in outline.
The Youlgrave half of the memorial is therefore semicircular in plan. The two tablets forming the supports are designed in the style of CWGC headstones, but only 70% of the size. They are carved from local stone and each bears an inscription incised in upright capital roman lettering.
The semicircular table top has an oaken rim with an incised inscription in upright capital roman lettering, and a surface of clear textured glass illuminated from below.
The radiating panels have an oaken frame infilled with stained glass, each of which represents a different design. The left one represents sacrifice and contains black and white crosses in the field of battle with a steel helmet at the centre, and a Sopwith Camel biplane and a carrier pigeon flying above. The right one has a depiction of a roundel from the Rennie Waterhouse memorial window (located in the north wall nearby) and a background of allusions to Youlgrave and Ypres.
At the middle of the staight edge of the semicircle is an oaken carved column, left rustic below the table top but bearing a carved facade of the church tower above the table top.

Glossary
Components:

ComponentMaterialHeightWidthDepthCondition
Memorial overallHopton Limestone, local oak, stained glassc17001000500Pristine
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
Left tablet:
Conflicts and people named:
ConflictFirst World War (1914-1919)Totals
Action or eventNot stated
Number died00
Number served and returned00
Total names00
YPRES
1915

Right tablet:
YPRES
1917-18

Rim of table top:
SACRIFICE COMPASSION REFLECTION UNITY
Administration
Custodian: Presumed to be the Parochial Church Council

Local authorities:
From 1974: Youlgreave Parish Council; Derbyshire Dales District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History and Conservation
17th April, 1951: The Peak District National Park was designated: the church lies within it.

12th July, 1967: The church was listed Grade I, Heritage List for England number 1109853.

5th February, 1982: The Youlgrave Conservation Area was designated: the church lies within it.

Spring 2014: The Youlgreave Community Group was formed through the Church of All Saints with the Church of St Michael and All Angels, Middleton by Youlgreave; the local branch of the Royal British Legion; the village Church of England School; the Womens' Institute; the football club; village well dressers; Youlgreave Cinema Club; the Village Community Land Trust and many individuals.

2017: Parishioners were invited to submit designs. The concept of the overall design was proposed by Philip Smith and it incorporates many of the submitted ideas, particularly the stained glass sections which include many of the children's designs.

March-May 2018: The wooden framework, cathedral spire and church tower were carved by Martin Hill of Sheffield using oak from the Devonshire Estate and donated by them. Many members of the group were involved in making and assembling the infill sections. Financial and other support was provided by the County Councillor; The District Councillor; Youlgreave Parish Council; The Hidden Histories Project of the University of Nottingham; Long Rake Spar; Derbyshire Aggregates; Chatsworth Estate (Forestry); Lisa and John Bingham; Treak Cliff Cavern; Petts Stonemasons and Colin Julian; Youlgrave Village Hall; parishioner and visitor donations.

19th August, 2018: The completed memorial was presented to the people of Ypres at the Cathedral of St Martin.

22nd January, 2019: The Youlgrave half of the memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson. It was in pristine condition and well cared for.
References
Comments
Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson