Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

King Charles the First - Chapel

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a Civil War memorial chapel to King Charles the First at the Church of All Saints, Youlgrave or Youlgreave, Derbyshire.
Images
No images are currently available.
Locations
Last known location:
Church of All Saints
Alport La
Youlgrave or Youlgreave
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE45 1WS

NGR:
SK 21205 64382
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The church is at the junction of Bradford Rd and Alport La. The chapel is in the north aisle.
Type
Overall type: Chapel Overall condition: Fair.


Description:

A dedicated chapel within the north aisle of the church. A nearby caption explains its history.

Glossary
Components:

ComponentMaterialHeightWidthDepthCondition
ChapelStone---Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
[There is no inscription in the chapel.]
Conflicts and people named:
ConflictSecond English Civil War (1648–1649)Totals
Action or eventThe Regicide (30 Jan 1649)
Number died00
Number served and returned00
Total names00
Caption with nearby banner:
This banner, in honour of King Charles 1, was
presented to the Church of All Saints, Youlgreave,
by Captain Henry Stuart Wheatly-Crowe (1882-1967)
on Sunday 26th February 1904.
Captain Wheatly-Crowe, with the help of the Vicar,
the Reverend Dr Percival Hadfield, and members
of the Royal Stuart Society, was responsible for the
establishment and dedication in 1953 of the Chapel
of King Charles the Martyr in the north aisle of the
church.
Captain Wheatly-Crowe is buried in the churchyard
Administration
Custodian: Presumed to be the Parochial Church Council

Local authorities:
From 19th century: Youlgreave Parish Council; Bakewell Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Youlgreave Parish Council; Derbyshire Dales District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History and Conservation
17th April, 1951: The Peak District National Park was designated: the church lies within it.

1953: The chapel was dedicated.

12th July, 1967: The church was listed Grade I, Heritage List for England number 1109853.

5th February, 1982: The Youlgrave Conservation Area was designated: the church lies within it.

26th September, 2008: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in fair condition.
References
Comments
Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson