Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Ashbourne - WW2 Pavilion

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW2 war memorial pavilion in the Memorial Park, Ashbourne, Derbyshire.
Images
Setting Plaque Tablet Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
Ashbourne Memorial Park
Cokayne Ave
Ashbourne
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE6 1EJ

NGR:
SK 18427 46910
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The pavilion is south of Cokayne Ave Car Park and west of Ashbourne Adult Community Education Centre
Type
Overall type: Pavilion Overall condition: Fair. The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.


Description:

An oblong brick sports pavilion with glazed doors overlooking the playing fields. A bronze plaque on the south wall has a narrow raised border and an inscription in raised upright capital roman lettering. A further tablet inside has an inscription in gilded upright capital roman lettering.

Glossary
Components:

ComponentMaterialHeightWidthDepthCondition
PavilionBrick, metal, glassc5000c21000 c9000Fair
PlaqueBronzec450c800c10Fair
TabletNot knownc400c700 c20Good
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
Plaque:
Conflicts and people named:
ConflictSecond World War (1939-1945)Totals
Action or eventNot stated
Number died00
Number served and returned00
Total names00
THIS PAVILION WAS ERECTED
BY THE PEOPLE OF ASHBOURNE
IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF
THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES
IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR
1939 - 1945
Tablet
THIS PAVILION
WAS ERECTED BY
THE PEOPLE OF ASHBOURNE
IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF
THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES
IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR
1939 - 1945
Administration
Custodian: The site is owned by Derbyshire Dales District Council and the pavilion is managed by the Ashbourne Recreation Ground Sports and Community Partnership

Local authorities:
From WW2: Ashbourne Parish Council; Ashbourne Urban District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Ashbourne Town Council; Derbyshire Dales District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History and Conservation
1940s-1950s: Public subscriptions and fundraising events aimed to raise £4000 for the new sports pavilion.

June 1957: The pavilion was probably opened by Col Sir Ian Walker-Okeover DSO TD, 3rd Baronet, Lord-lieutenant of Derbyshire and sometime Honorary Colonel of the Derbyshire Yeomanry. The ceremony was attended by Rev Manchester, Rev Pratt, Cllr Len Peel and Mr George Gather, amongst others.

21st July, 2019: The memorial was photographed by Alan Willmot. It was in fair condition and cared for..

29th November, 2019: The memorial was photographed by Roy Branson. It was in fair condition and cared for.

2019-20: Various online sources describe proposals to demolish the pavilion and replace it with a £400,000 "community hub". It is believed that this will comprise a pavilion which will retain the memorial status.
References
Derby Evening Telegraph; 10th November, 1947; p4 col4: a very brief reference to the fundraising activities.

Derbyshire Advertiser; June 1957: a photograph credited to D Archer, reference DCDD000240 is displayed on the Picture the Past website. It depicts a group of dignitaries at the opening of the pavilian and identifies Col Sir Ian Walker-Okeover, Rev Manchester, Rev Pratt, Cllr Len Peel and Mr George Gather.
Comments
The pavilion is used by several local sports clubs and by local schools.

Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson