Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Maj W J R Cavendish, Marquess of Hartington

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW2 war memorial hall commemorating Maj W J R Cavendish, Marquess of Hartington, at Sheldon, Derbyshire.
Images
Setting Hall Tablet Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
Hartington Memorial Hall
Un-named road
Sheldon
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE45 1QS

NGR:
SK 17316 68798 ±5m
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The hall is on the north side of the road to the west of the village centre. The tablet is on the south-facing outside wall.
Type
Overall type: Hall Overall condition: Fair. The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.


Description:

A single storey stone memorial hall with pitched slate roof. A stone tablet on the outside wall has a moulded border, a badge of the Coldstream Guards flanked by oak leaves in relief at the head and bears the incised inscription in upright capital roman lettering.

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Hall Stone, slate c5000 c14000 c14000 Fair
Tablet Limestone 380 620 25 Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
THE HARTINGTON MEMORIAL HALL
PRESENTED TO THE INHABITANTS OF SHELDON
IN MEMORY OF
WILLIAM JOHN ROBERT CAVENDISH
MARQUESS OF HARTINGTON
MAJOR COLDSTREAM GUARDS
KILLED IN ACTION 10TH SEPTEMBER 1944
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict Second World War (1939-1945) Totals
Action Not stated
Number died 1 1
Number served and returned 0 0
Total names 1 1
Administration
Custodian: The Hartington Memorial Hall Trust, registered charity 1091116.

Local authorities:
From WW2: Sheldon Parish Council; Bakewell Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Sheldon Parish Council; Derbyshire Dales District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History and Conservation
c1940s: The building, previously used as a school and owned by Col Sir Edward Cavendish KG, 10th Duke of Devonshire, was donated to the village by him as a memorial village hall.

17th April, 1951:The Peak District National Park was designated and the memorial lies within it.

4th July, 2012: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in fair condition and cared for.

16th May, 2018: The memorial was photographed by Roy Branson. It was in fair condition and cared for.
References
Sheffield Telegraph; 27th November, 1950; p2: an obituary of the 10th Duke of Devonshire, including a reference to the donation of the hall.
Comments
Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson