Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

J N Snowdon and A C Snowdon - Vestry

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: A description of a WW2 war memorial vestry to J N Snowdon and A C Snowdon in St Michael and All Angels' Church, Hathersage, Derbyshire.
Images
Door West view East view Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
St Michael and
 All Angels' Church
Church Bank
Hathersage
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
S32 1AJ

NGR:
SK 23410 81851
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The Anglican church is on the western limb of Church Bank (sometimes known as Bank Top) on the northeastern side of the village. It is not to be confused with the Roman Catholic church of St Michael the Archangel which is west of the village centre. The vestry is on the south side of the nave and the inscription is inside, on the east wall.
Type
Overall type: Church vestry Overall condition: Good. The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.


Description:

A single storey sandstone vestry with a pitched slate roof, built to the south of the church and accessed from a door in the south wall of the chancel. The vestry has a lancet window in the south wall and bears an inscription on a tablet on the inside of the east wall.

Glossary
Components:

ComponentMaterialHeightWidthDepthCondition
VestrySandstone, slate-- -Good
TabletStone---Not known
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
[Not known. See Comments below.]
Conflicts and people named:
ConflictSecond World War (1939-1945)Totals
Action or eventNot stated
Number died22
Number served and returned00
Total names22
Administration
Custodian: Presumed to be the Parochial Church Council

Local authorities:
From WW2: Hathersage Parish Council; Bakewell Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Hathersage Parish Council; Derbyshire Dales District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History and Conservation
c1947: The vicar, Rev E V Robinson, revived an old proposal to build a vestry, and the Derwent Valley Water Board offered the window, roof, slates, roof timbers and roof edge stones from the demolished parish church of St James and St John, Derwent, now under the waters of Ladybower Reservoir. The new vestry was built by local craftsmen and paid for by Mr and Mrs H Snowdon of Cotefield House, Hathersage.

25th September, 1949: The vestry was dedicated by The Rt Rev Dr A E J Rawlinson, Bishop of Derby, and the tablet was unveiled by Mr H Snowden in memory of his two sons, John Nevil and Antony Condor Snowdon, killed in WW2.

17th April, 1951: The memorial lies within the Peak District National Park designated on that date.

12th July, 1967: The church was listed Grade 1, Heritage List for England number 1109793.

24th April, 1981: The memorial lies within the Hathersage Conservation Area first designated on that date.

15th September, 2015: The exterior of the vestry was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in good condition and cared for.
References
Nottingham Journal; 26th September, 1949, p6 col 2: a report of the dedication and unveiling.

The Parish Church of St Michael and All Angels, pp11 -12; Martin Hulbert and Peter Miles, 2003, Hathersage Parochial Church Council. The booklet contains information on the construction of the vestry.

B Eyre Pers Comm; 1st November, 2020: email regarding the inscription.
Comments
It is reported that the inscription erroniously refers to the the Great War instead of WW2.

Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson