Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

King Charles the First - Flag

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a Civil War memorial flag to King Charles the First at the Church of All Saints, Youlgrave or Youlgreave, Derbyshire.
Images
Window Plaque Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
Church of All Saints
Alport La
Youlgrave or Youlgreave
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE45 1WS

NGR:
SK 21205 64382
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The church is at the junction of Bradford Rd and Alport La. The flag is in a niche at the west end of the north aisle.
Type
Overall type: Flag Overall condition: Fair. The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.


Description:

A white fabric banner decorated with a sword, crown and scroll at the head and the commemoration on a red panel within a circle at the centre. The enclosing glazed oaken case contains an explanatory caption and bears a maker’s plate.

Glossary
Components:

ComponentMaterialHeightWidthDepthCondition
FlagFabricc1100700-Fair
CaseOak, glass126081080Good
PlaqueBrassc30c80c2Good
CaptionCardc200c200c1Good
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
Flag:
Conflicts and people named:
ConflictSecond English Civil War (1648–1649)Totals
Action or eventThe Regicide (30 Jan 1649)
Number died11
Number served and returned00
Total names11
REMINISCI
ALL SAINTS YOULGRAVE
TO
THE SACRED MEMORY
OF HIS
MOST EXCELLENT
MAJESTY
CHARLES THE FIRST
KING AND MARTYR
Maker's plaque:
THIS CASE WAS
MADE & PRESENTED BY
ANDREW SHARP
CABINETMAKER OF MATLOCK
IN 1982
Caption:
This banner, in honour of King Charles 1, was
presented to the Church of All Saints, Youlgreave,
by Captain Henry Stuart Wheatly-Crowe (1882-1967)
on Sunday 26th February 1904.
Captain Wheatly-Crowe, with the help of the Vicar,
the Reverend Dr Percival Hadfield, and members
of the Royal Stuart Society, was responsible for the
establishment and dedication in 1953 of the Chapel
of King Charles the Martyr in the north aisle of the
church.
Captain Wheatly-Crowe is buried in the churchyard
Administration
Custodian: Presumed to be the Parochial Church Council

Local authorities:
From 19th century: Youlgreave Parish Council; Bakewell Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Youlgreave Parish Council; Derbyshire Dales District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History and Conservation
26th February, 1904 The banner was presented to the church by Capt Henry Stuart Wheatly-Crowe.

17th April, 1951: The Peak District National Park was designated: the church lies within it.

12th July, 1967: The church was listed Grade I, Heritage List for England number 1109853.

5th February, 1982: The Youlgrave Conservation Area was designated: the church lies within it.

1982: The case was made by Andrew Sharp, cabinet maker of Matlock.

26th September, 2008: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in fair condition and cared for, although the flag appeared to have previously suffered some deterioration by creasing and splitting, especially near the centre, and it is presumed that it was originally displayed unprotected.
References
Comments
Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson