Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Christ Church - WW2

Summary

Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW2 war memorial tablet at Christ Church, Hulland, Derbyshire.
Images
Setting Memorial Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
Christ Church
Dog La
Hulland
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE6 3EA

NGR:
SK 24918 47420
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The memorial is at the eastern end of the nave, south of the chancel arch.
Type
Overall type: Tablet. Overall condition: Good. The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.


Description:

A horizontal oblong limestone tablet with a moulded border and the badges of the Royal Navy at bottom left and Royal Air Force at bottom right. The incised inscription is in sentence case roman lettering coloured red.

Glossary
Components:

ComponentMaterialHeightWidthDepthCondition
TabletLimestone46092030Good
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription

In grateful and proud memory of the
men from this parish of Hulland who
gave their lives in the War of 1939-45
ALBERT FEARN & JOSEPH HARRISON
Stokers Royal Navy
ALFRED HENRY GREGORY
Sergeant Pilot RAFVR
Conflicts and people named:
ConflictSecond World War (1939-1945)Totals
Action or eventNot stated
Number died33
Number served and returned00
Total names33
Administration
Custodian: Presumed to be the parochial church council.

Local authorities:
From WW2: Hulland Parish Council; Ashbourne Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Hulland Parish Council, Derbyshire Dales District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History and Conservation
10th September, 2010: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in good condition and cared for.
References
Comments
The church lies on the edge of the civil parish of Hulland which contains Hulland (village) and Hulland Moss. The adjacent developments along the Ashbourne-Belper road lie in the civil parish of Hulland Ward which has become a general name for all of the localities in the area.

Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson