|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| | Home | Search | About war memorials | About us | Other projects | | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Memorial Title Allestree - Recreation Ground |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Summary
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 war memorial recreation ground at Allestree, Derby. | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Images
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Locations
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Type
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Inscription
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Administration
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Custodian: Derby City Council Local authorities: From WW1: Allestree Parish Council; Belper Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council From 1968: Derby County Borough Council (Derby Corporation) (Unparished) From 1974: Derby District (later Borough and from 1977 City) Council and Derbyshire County Council. From 1997: The unitary authority has been Derby City Council. |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
History
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Before 1914: Historically the area had been a marl pit owned by Col L G Gisborne CMG but had been used as a cricket field for some years. 19th July, 1919: The deeds of the land were presented to the parish council by Col Gisborne. c1928: The gates and plaques were installed. November 1930: The plaques were unveiled. 2004-5: The plaques were removed and the piers demolished. New piers were built, the gates rehung and refurbished plaques replaced. 11th November, 2007: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson. It was in fair condition and cared for. April 2012: The gates piers were again demolished, to facilitate reconstruction of the adjacent car park. New ones were constructed about 8m south of their original position and the gates and plaques were re-erected. Summer 2012: Both plaques were repainted royal blue with the lettering picked out in gold. 14th April, 2013: The relocated gates and plaques were rededicated by the Very Rev Dr John Davies, Dean of Derby Cathedral, at a ceremony organised by the Allestree Branch of the Royal British Legion. The Mayor of Derby, Cllr Lisa Higginbottom, the Lord Lieutenant of Derbyshire, Mr William Tucker, and the High Sheriff of Derbyshire, Mr Derek Mapp, also participated. 14th April, 2013: The relocated memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson. It was in fair condition and cared for. |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
References
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Derby Telegraph; 28th May, 1919; p2: a report on the parish meeting at which Col Gisborne announced his intention to donate the land to the parish as a memorial. Derby Telegraph; 21st July, 1919: a report on the peace celebrations at which Col Gisborne handed over the deeds of the land to the parish council. Derby City Council; 6th October 2004; Minutes of Area Panel 5; p12, Decision 3; A grant of £800 was awarded to the Royal British Legion Allestree Branch towards the cost of refurbishing the memorial. Order of Service; Royal British Legion; 14th April, 2013 Derby Telegraph; 15th April, 2013: a report on the rededication ceremony. |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Comments
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know. | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Page © Roy Branson | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||