Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

London Road Wesleyan Chapel (Lost)

(also known as Canal Street Chapel and later as Queen's Hall Methodist Mission)
Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 war memorial plaque for the London Road Wesleyan Chapel, formerly in the Queen's Hall Methodist Mission, Derby.

Can you tell us what happened to this memorial?
Images
Setting Click on the thumbnail to see a larger image.
Locations
Last known location:
Queen's Hall
125 London Rd
 (A5194 formerly A6)
Derby
Nearest postcode:
DE1 2QQ

NGR:
SK 35873 35511
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The Queen's Hall is on the northeast side of the road at the corner of Canal St. The plaque was inside, in the foyer.
Type
Overall type: Plaque


Overall condition: Lost
Can you tell us what happened to this memorial?

Description:

A wall mounted brass plaque. The upright oblong plaque is unornamented and has an incised inscription in upright capital roman lettering coloured black but with a red heading

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Plaque Brass c340 c240 c2 Lost
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
IN MEMORY OF
THESE BELOVED NAMES
THEY SACRIFICED THEMSELVES
IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1919
FRANK BLACKBURN
WILLIAM DANKS
ARTHUR FITZHUGH
ARTHUR HINKS
WILLIAM H. HUNTON
HARRY KIRKLAND
THOMAS LYMM
GORDON V. REED
JOHN W. SHORT
WILLIAM H. SMITH
FREDERICK TOLLEDAY
HORACE V. VARNEY
CHARLES WIBBERLEY
ARTHUR WILLIAMS
"THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE"
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919) Totals
Action Unspecified
Number died 14 14
Number served and returned  0  0
Total names 14 14
Administration
Custodian: Not known

Local authorities:
Before 1974: Derby County Borough Council (Derby Corporation)
From 1974 to 1997: Derby District (later Borough and from 1977 City) Council and Derbyshire County Council.
Since 1997 the unitary authority has been Derby City Council.
History and Conservation
The history of this building is difficult to establish and it is not to be confused with the London Road Methodist Church at Wilmorton.

1884: The building was marked on the Ordnance Survey map as "Meth Ch (Wesln)".

1901 and 1914: The building was labelled "Chapel" on the OS maps.

1926-7: The building was reconstructed and renamed the Queen's Hall Mission. A report that the building was restructured as Central Hall is dubious. (Central Hall is believed to have been in the Co-operative Society's premises in Albion St.)

1914-1951: The building was extended at the northeast face onto the site of the former Sunday school. The London Road frontage appears to have been unchanged in plan outline.

1950 and 1966: The building was labelled "Queen's Hall Methodist Mission" on the OS maps.

In all of the above maps the layout of the building frontage was the same.

1966-1973: The London Road frontage was rebuilt.

1973: The building was labelled "Queen's Hall Methodist Mission" on the OS map but had a new plan shape to the London Rd frontage matching that of today.

1991: The building is reported to have been gutted by fire with refurbishment including the new London Road frontage.

31st October, 2010: The memorial was photographed by Mike Berrell and subsequently contributed by him via Richard Roberts.

2012: The church closed and it is presumed that the memorial was removed.

2nd January, 2014: A planning application was submitted to Derby City Council for the change of use from church to conference and banqueting suite. It was approved on 13th May and the centre is now also a base for a dance studio.

January, 2018: Jane Fox looked for the memorial in all accessible areas of the building but could not find it.
References
Ordnance Survey maps:
1884, 1:2500, sheet L.13
1901, 1:2500, sheet L.13
1914, 1:2500, sheet L.13
1951 1:1250, SK3535NE
1965 1:1250, SK3535NE
1966 1:2500, SK3535
1973 1:1250, SK3535NE

Derbyshire Record Office: Documents relating to fire damage repairs; 1991; Reference D3749/68/6

Derbyshire Record Office: Documents relating to the history of the church; Reference D3740

Where Did your Ancestors go to Church? A Places of Worship Database, website page http://churchdb.gukutils.org.uk/DBY675.php consulted 10th February, 2018.

Derby City Council: Planning application 01/14/00002 for change of use from church to conference and banqueting centre.
Comments
Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson