|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| | Home | Search | About war memorials | About us | Other projects | | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Memorial Title Ilkeston - Garden of Remembrance |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Summary Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a war memorial garden of remembrance at Ilkeston, Derbyshire. |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Images
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Locations
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Type
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Administration
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Custodian: Erewash Borough Council Local authorities: From WW2: Ilkeston Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council. From 1974: Erewash Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council. |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
History and Conservation
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| 1946: Proposals were put forward for a garden of remembrance in Ilkeston to commemorate the second world war. A committee was set up to raise
donations. The cost was estimated at £3,250 plus £800 for the stone cross. 1950s: The cross was designed by J P Milner & Craze, F/FRIBA., Chartered Architects of Buckingham Gate, London, and constructed by Walter Beresford. The cross contains relics from 1956 including coins and a scroll. 10th June, 1956: The garden was opened by His Grace Edward Cavendish KG MBE TD 10th Duke of Devonshire and dedicated by The Rt Rev Dr A E J Rawlinson, Bishop of Derby. The tablet was unveiled by the mayor of Ilkeston. The garden was originally enclosed within the graveyard and provided seating, however, the people of Ilkeston still preferred to use the seating outside the library as “they didn’t like sitting in a graveyard”. 1963: A £1,000 scheme was approved by Erewash Borough Council to allow access to the garden from the Market Place by a new paved path and steps. 1965: The path and steps were completed but it was soon reported that they had been defaced. 1971: Further vandalism included benches being broken and daubed in graffiti. 6th November, 1979: Ilkeston Town Centre Conservation Area was first designated, and the memorial lies within it. 15 October, 2003: A report to Erewash Borough Council Executive recommended approval of a £5,000 project for the refurbishment of the memorial but it was not approved. 8th August, 2006: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in poor condition. August 2006: There were public calls for renovation of the garden. February, 2007: Erewash Borough Council agreed to accept a grant of £3,180 from English Heritage and the Wolfson Foundation and agreed the release of £20,000 capital funding to allow the project to proceed. 8th November, 2019: The memorial was revisited by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in fair condition. The upper lawn had been replaced by shrubs and metal studs had been installed in some coping stones to prevent them being damaged by skateboarders. |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
References
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Derby Telegraph; 30th August, 2006; p12: an article on proposals for renovation. Erewash Borough Council; 11th July, 2007; Report of the Director of Neighbourhood Services to the Council Executive: Improvements to garden of remembrance - St Mary’s Church Ilkeston. |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Comments
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know. | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Page © Roy Branson | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||