|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| | Home | Search | About war memorials | About us | Other projects | | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Memorial Title Mapperley Collieries - Tablet |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Summary Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 war memorial tablet for Mapperley Collieries at West Hallam, Derbyshire. |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Images
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Locations
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Type
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Inscription
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Administration
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Custodian: Not known Local authorities: From WW1: West Hallam Parish Council, Shardlow Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council. From 1959: West Hallam Parish Council, South East Derbyshire Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council. From 1974: West Hallam Parish Council, Erewash Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council. |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
History and Conservation
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
c1920: The Mapperley Colliery Company built a social hall for its employees in Station Road. A memorial was erected on an external wall of the hall to commemorate the former employees of the company who died in the Great War. 24th July, 1920: The memorial hall was opened. 25th July 1920: The memorial was unveiled. 1970s: The condition of the hall deteriorated and it closed for a number of years.. 1977: The hall was refurbished and renamed The West Hallam Silver Jubilee Club to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the accession of HM Queen Elizabeth. 1978: The West Hallam Conservation Area was first designated. The memorial now lies within it. 1990s: The condition of the hall again deteriorated. 2005: The hall was acquired by developers Righto Ltd and it was demolished. The memorial was removed and placed into storage. 28th July, 2006: Application for planning consent to re-erect the memorial was submitted to Erewash Borough Council by Peter Wigglesworth on behalf of Righto Ltd. 21st September, 2006: Planning consent was given by Erewash Borough Council for the erection of the memorial adjacent to the West Hallam war memorial in The Village. 2007: The memorial was re-erected at its current location by Righto Ltd. 7th October, 2007: The memorial was rededicated by Rev Simon White, Rector of West Hallam and Mapperley with Stanley. 7th October, 2007: The memorial was recorded by Roy Branson. It was in good condition. |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
References
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Nottingham Journal and Express; 26th July, 1920; p5: a report on the opening of the hall. Sheffield Daily Independent; 26th July, 1920: p5 col 3: a report on the opening of the hall. Derbyshire Advertiser and Journal; 30th July, 1920; p3: a report on the opening of the hall. Erewash Borough Council; 21st September, 2006; Planning Consent ERE/0706/0067. Derby Telegraph; 1st October, 2007; p11 col1: a photograph and report on the relocation of the memorial and the forthcoming rededication ceremony. Derby Telegraph; 8th October, 2007; p17: a photograph and report of the recent rededication ceremony. Rededication programme; 7th October, 2007. Wood, Roger; pers comm: a number of emails in 2018-2019. |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Comments
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Some ambiguity and mystery accompanies this memorial. Why was it unveiled the day after the ceremony when the hall was opened? Why did the National Federation of Discharged and Demobilised Sailors and Soldiers hold their drumhead service on the adjacent field at the same time as the tablet was unveiled at the hall? The hall and the tablet were clearly managed by the Mapperley Colliery Company: did the National Federation have some feeling of exclusion and decide to stage their rival ceremony with their own temporary memorial? Or was it all just a confusing coincidence? Press reports treat these as two entirely separate events and, pending any clarification, it seems logical to do the same here. Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know. |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Page © Roy Branson | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||