Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Long Eaton - Cross

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 and WW2 war memorial cross at Long Eaton, Derbyshire.
Images
Setting Memorial WW1 inscription WW2 inscription Additional inscription
Lantern head detail Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
Roadside
Market Place (B6540)
Long Eaton
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
NG10 1LT

NGR:
SK 49131 33707 ±5m
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The memorial is towards the northern end of the Market Place outside the church.
Type
Overall type: Cross Overall condition: Fair. The inscription is legible and the memorial is well cared for.


Description:

A lantern-headed cross of Clipsham limestone. The finely carved lantern head has a calvary on the west face with (clockwise) figures of St George slaying the dragon; The Mother and Holy Child; and St Michael. These all lie in ogee crocketed niches and with crocketed pinnacles to the top. It surmounts a tapered octagonal pillar on a square pedestal and octagonal four-stepped base, the lowest step of which is corbelled out to make a seat. A carved wreath on the 6 o'clock face of the pedestal contains the original inscription incised in upright capital lettering and two further inscriptions are on metal plaques attached to the steps with incised inscriptions coloured white. The memorial is separated from the churchyard by a curved stone wall, and metal railings were later added to the road side.

Glossary
Components:

ComponentMaterialHeightWidthDepthCondition
LanternLimestone1500c400c400Fair
PillarLimestone3000350350Fair
PedestalLimestone720980980Fair
BaseLimestone117037003700Fair
PlaqueMetalc200c500c5Fair
PlaqueMetalc150c300c5Fair
RailingsMetalc1000c10000c30Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
WW1 inscription:
Conflicts and people named:
ConflictFirst
World War (1914-1919)
Second
World War (1939-1945)
Other
conflicts
Totals
Action or eventNot
stated
Not
stated
Not
stated
Number died0000
Number served and returned0000
Total names0000
TO
THE FALLEN
IN THE GREAT WAR
1914-1919
WHOSE NAMES ARE
INSCRIBED IN THE
TOWN ROLL OF
HONOUR
WW2 inscription:
IN MEMORY OF THOSE
WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE
IN THE 1939 – 1945 WAR
AND OTHER CONFLICTS
Additional inscription:
The Rolls of Honour bearing the names
of those who fell in the 1914 – 1918 and
1939 – 1945 Wars are displayed
within the Long Eaton Town Hall
Administration
Custodian: Presumed to be Erewash Borough Council

Local authorities:
From WW1: Long Eaton Parish Council; Long Eaton Urban District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Erewash Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History and Conservation
c1920: The memorial was designed by (John) Ninian Comper, architect, of Knights Hill, West Norwood.

1921: The memorial was erected in 1921 under the supervision of local architect of Mr J F Dodd. The construction of the foundations and base was executed by Mr E E Stevens of Long Eaton, while the lantern head, shaft and pedestal were produced by Mr W M Gough, architectural sculptor from London.

23rd October, 1921: The memorial was unveiled by Lt Col C C Herbert-Stepney DSO, and dedicated by the Rt Rev Charles T Abraham, Bishop Suffragan of Derby, and the memorial was handed over to Cllr J Lee JP, Chairman of Long Eaton Urban District Council.

1978: The Royal British Legion complained to Erewash Council that the lantern head was damaged, and the council removed it.

June 1980: A new lantern head was obtained.

2nd May, 1986: The memorial was listed Grade II, Heritage List for England number 1087975.

1988: Railings were provided to the southwest of the memorial.

1993: The Long Eaton Town Centre Conservation Area was first designated; the memorial lies within it.

September 1995: Plaques were added. It is not clear whether these were new or replacements.

October 1997: The memorial was steam cleaned and repaired.

November 1999: New plaques were added indicating the location of the rolls of honour. It is not clear whether these were new or replacements.

July, 2009: Following vandalism the culprits were required to clean off their graffiti under the terms of the restorative justice system.

1st October, 2009: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in fair condition and well cared for. The finely carved lantern head was in very good condition, but the pedestal and its carved wreath and inscription had become eroded and lost detail.
References
Nottingham Journal; 24th October, 1921; p5 col4: an account of the unveiling ceremony.

Derby Evening Telegraph; 13th July, 2009, p9: a report on vandalism.

Royal British Legion, Long Eaton Branch: much of the information on conservation and history has been assembled from a variety of online sources attributed to the RBL.
Comments
Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson