Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment)

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 war memorial plaque commemorating the Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment) on the Town Hall at Long Eaton.
Images
Setting Memorial Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
Town Hall
Derby Rd (A6005)
Long Eaton
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
NG10 1HU

NGR:
SK 49053 33915 ±5m
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The plaque is on the south face of the Town Hall, to the right of the original entrance.
Type
Overall type: Plaque Overall condition: Good. The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.


Description:

A nowy-headed bronze wall plaque with moulded cornices at head and foot, a flat raised border, and the badge of the Sherwood Foresters' Regiment at the head. The inscription is in upright raised capital roman lettering. A white stone backboard is set into the brick wall of the building and has a stepped top, a pediment at the head and a frieze of miniature pilasters at the foot.

Glossary
Components:

ComponentMaterialHeightWidthDepthCondition
PlaqueBronze75051520Good
BackboardStone15401020-Good
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
 45th
 FOOT
 95th
FOOT 
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919) Totals
Action Not stated
Number died 0 0
Number served and returned 0 0
Total names 0 0
ON CRICH HILL A MONUMENT IS ERECTED
IN MEMORY OF
11,409 OF ALL RANKS OF
THE SHERWOOD FORESTERS
(NOTTINGHAMSHIRE AND DERBYSHIRE REGIMENT)
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES
FOR THEIR KING AND THEIR COUNTRY
IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1919
WHOSE NAMES
ARE RECORDED WITH GRATITUDE AND LOVE IN
BOOKS OF REMEMBRANCE
DEPOSITED IN
NOTTINGHAM AND DERBY
AND ALSO IN HONOUR OF
ALL THEIR COMRADES WHO GLORIOUSLY SERVED
IN 32 BATTALIONS OF THE SAME REGIMENT
TO THE NUMBER OF
140,000.
Administration
Custodian: Erewash Borough Council

Local authorities:
From WW1: Long Eaton Parish Council; Long Eaton Urban District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Erewash Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History and Conservation
1921: The Hall was acquired by Long Eaton Urban District Council for use as a town hall.

Unknown date: The memorial was installed.

22nd October, 1962: The building, formerly known as The Hall, was Listed Grade II*, Heritage List for England number 1204191.

1993: The Long Eaton Town Centre Conservation Area was first designated; the Town Hall lies within it.

1st October, 2009: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in fair condition and cared for.
References
Comments
The Book of Remembrance was originally deposited in Derby Central Library but is now displayed in the military gallery of Derby Museum and Art Gallery.

Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson