Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Long Eaton Congregational Church

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 war memorial plaque in Long Eaton United Reformed Church, Derbyshire.
Images
Setting Plaque Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
Long Eaton United
 Reformed Church
Nottingham Rd (A6005)
Long Eaton
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
NG10 1HQ

NGR:
SK 49134 33863
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The church is at the junction with Midland St and the plaque is inside, on the west wall.
Type
Overall type: Plaque


Overall condition: Good The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.

Description:

A wall-mounted oblong brass plaque on a marble backboard. The plaque has a black sinuous border of foliage with two laurel sprigs at the head and the inscription is in black upright roman lettering. The plain oblong backboard is of light grey mottled marble.

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Plaque Brass 520 680 3 Good
Backboard Marble 610 760 20 Good
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN GRATEFUL
MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THIS CHURCH
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR
1914-1918
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919) Totals
Action Unspecified
Number died 7 7
Number served and returned 0 0
Total names 7 7
JOHN BARKER
ARTHUR BROWN
WILLIAM FISHLOCK
WALTER KIRK
JOHN SPRIDGEON
ROBERT WILTSHIRE
WILFRED GANN
“Their name liveth for Evermore.”
Administration
Custodian: Long Eaton United Reformed Church.

Local authorities:
From WW1: Long Eaton Parish Council; Long Eaton Urban District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: (Unparished); Erewash Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History and Conservation
2nd July, 1919: A church meeting resolved to place a memorial in the church.

1919-20: The memorial was made by Hammer & Co of London.

May 1920: The memorial was dedicated by Rev W H Tame.

1972: The Congregational Church changed its name to the United Reformed Church.

14th September, 1993: The Long Eaton Town Centre Conservation Area was designated. The church lies within it.

15th April, 2011: The memorial was surveyed by Rachel Farrand, who subsequently contributed the details. Additional details were provide by Keith D Clarke, Joint Treasurer, United Reformed Church, and researcher of the church’s war memorial. The memorial was in good condition and cared for.

15th February, 2013: The memorial was photographed by Richard Roberts.
References
Keith Clarke; Long Eaton United Reformed Church Roll of Honour, Remembrance Day Sunday 14th November 2004; November 2004.
Comments
The booklet by Keith Clarke published in 2004 records that: ‘At a church meeting held on 2nd July 1919 a resolution was made and approved for the placement in the church of a memorial to those who had lost their lives in the service of their country in the recent war. Subsequent to this resolution a memorial tablet as specified in a sketch by Hammer & Co of London was manufactured and mounted on the west wall of the church in 1920.’ The author has researched the histories of the men commemorated on the memorial.

Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson