Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Long Eaton Auxiliary Hospital

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 war memorial plaque commemorating Long Eaton Auxiliary Hospital at Christ Church Methodist Sunday Schools, Long Eaton, Derbyshire.
Images
Setting Plaque Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
Christ Church
  Methodist Sunday Schools
College St
Long Eaton
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
NG10 4NE

NGR:
SK 48401 34117 ±5m
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The plaque is on the outside of the eastern wall of the building.
Type
Overall type: Plaque Overall condition: Fair. The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.


Description:

A long oblong cast metal plaque with a red cross emblem in a roundel at the top left and an inscription in upright capital raised lettering. The plaque is painted white with the cross in red and the roundel and lettering in black. The plaque is mounted on a wooden backboard.

Glossary
Components:

ComponentMaterialHeightWidthDepthCondition
PlaqueMetal15057510Good
BackboardWood20065020Good
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
THIS BUILDING WAS USED
AS AN AUXILIARY HOSPITAL
DURING THE GREAT WAR. 1914-1919
Conflicts and people named:
ConflictFirst World War (1914-1919)Totals
Action or eventNot stated
Number died00
Number served and returned00
Total names00
Administration
Custodian: Not known

Local authorities:
From WW1: Long Eaton Parish Council; Long Eaton Urban District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Erewash Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History and Conservation
Unknown date: The hospital was a Red Cross VAD Hospital.

2nd May, 1986: The Sunday School was listed Grade II, Heritage List for England reference 1087969.

8th February, 2014 The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson. It was in good condition and cared for. The plaque had recently been refurbished and repainted and the backboard had been replaced.
References
Comments
The plaque commemorates the casualties who were cared for at the hospital and the efforts of the staff, many of whom were volunteers.

Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson