Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

C Osborn

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW2 war memorial triptych to Christopher Osborn at the Church of St Laurance, Long Eaton, Derbyshire.
Images
Setting Closed triptych Open triptych Plaque Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
Church of St Laurance
Market Place (B6540)
Long Eaton
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
NG10 1LT

NGR:
SK 49158 33734 ±5m
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The memorial is on the east wall of the Lady Chapel in the south aisle, behind the altar
Type
Overall type: Triptych Overall condition: Fair. The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.


Description:

An oaken triptych with a brass plaque at the foot. When closed, the outsides of the volets display plain oak faces with a narrow raised border. When open the central panel reveals a carved Calvary scene with Jesus on a red and gold potent cross and two attendants in blue and green gowns. The volets reveal two heraldic shields, one red and gold, the other black and silver. The long narrow brass plaque has an incised inscription in upright capital roman lettering coloured black.

Glossary
Components:

ComponentMaterialHeightWidthDepthCondition
Triptych (open)Oak57552075Fair
PlaqueBrass152202Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF CHRISTOPHER OSBORN
(1920 - 1940) LOST AT SEA WITH H.M.S. DUNOON, 30 APRIL 1940, JESU, MERCY!
Conflicts and people named:
ConflictSecond World War (1939-1945)Totals
Action or eventSinking of HMS Dunoon
(30 April 1940)
Number died11
Number served and returned00
Total names11
Administration
Custodian: Presumed to be the parochial church council.

Local authorities:
From WW2: Long Eaton Parish Council; Long Eaton Urban District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Erewash Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History and Conservation
Unknown date: The plaque was installed.

22nd October, 1962: The church was listed Grade II*, Heritage List for England number 1204249.

1993: The Long Eaton Town Centre Conservation Area was first designated by Erewash Borough Council. The church lies within it

8th February, 2014 The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson. It was in Fair condition and cared for.
References
Comments
Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson