Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Hamilton Road - Street Shrine (Lost)

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 war memorial street shrine formerly in Hamilton Road, Long Eaton, Derbyshire.
Images
No images are available.
Locations
Last known location:
Private residences
Hamilton Rd
Long Eaton
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
NG10 4QZ

NGR:
SK 48764 34039
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The shrine was at the roadside, on the wall between 34 and 36 Hamilton Rd.
Type
Overall type: Street shrine


Overall condition: Lost.


Description:

A temporary street shrine of unknown form.

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Street shrine Unknown - - - Lost
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
[Unknown, but believed to have contained the names of 67 men who were serving in the armed forces. It was common for such shrines to bear a sheet of paper, to which was added the names of local residents as they joined the armed forces. In time crosses were often added beside the names of the fallen. Details of this particular shrine have not survived.]
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919) Totals
Action Unspecified
Number died - -
Number served and returned - -
Total names - -
Administration
Custodian: None

Local authorities:
From WW1: Long Eaton Parish Council; Long Eaton Urban District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: (Unparished); Erewash Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History and Conservation
4th December, 1916: The memorial was unveiled and dedicated by Rev H V Turner, Bishop's Messenger.

Unknown date: The temporary shrine was removed and replaced by a permanent memorial.
References
Long Eaton Advertiser; 8th December. 1916: a report on the unveiling ceremony.
Comments
The shrine is believed to have been the first erected in Long Eaton and was associated with St John's Church. Regular services were held before it at 4:30 every Friday afternoon throughout the war.

Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson