Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Women's Auxiliary Air Force (WAAF) (Lost)

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a lost war memorial well dressing commemorating the Women's Auxiliary Air Force (WAAF), in the churchyard of the Church of St Matthew, Walk Mill Rd, Hayfield, Derbyshire.
Images
Well dressing memorial Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Locations
Last known location:
Churchyard
Church of St Matthew
Walk Mill Rd
Hayfield
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
SK22 2ER

NGR:
SK 03698 86953
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The dressing was outside the central window on the south face of the church.
Type
Overall type: Well dressing Overall condition: Lost


Description:

A temporary well dressing tableau traditionally made from vegetation pressed into clay held in a wooden frame, but today often including pebbles, chippings, beads, fabric etc. The dressing comprised an oblong central panel, two narrow side panels and a pediment at the head. The main panel bore a scene of two women working on an aircraft with a third saluting in the foreground, all in blue uniforms. In the background were a cluster of brown barrage balloons against a mottled blue, pink and yellow sky. The two side panels bore the inscription in upright capital yellow lettering against red grounds, and the pediment bore the WAAF badge of the Women's Auxiliary Air Force, a white dove and sergeant's stripes, all on a grey ground.
The well dressing was displayed from 1st to 8th July, 2018 and was subsequently dismantled.

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Mosaic Plant material,
stone, clay
c2400 c2000 c50 Lost
Frame Wood c2400 c2000 c50 Unknown
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
SAINT 2018
MATTHEW'S
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict Second World War (1939-1949) * Totals
Action Not stated
Number died 0 0
Number served and returned 0 0
Total names 0 0
* The WAAF existed under that name from 1939-1949.
Administration
Custodian: Not known.

Local authorities:
From 1974: Hayfield Parish Council; High Peak Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History and Conservation
Spring 2018: The memorial well dressing was designed and constructed by members of the local community.

1st July, 2018: The memorial was blessed by the local clergy.

1st July, 2018: The memorial was photographed by Glyn Williams

9th July, 2018: The dressing was dismantled and the components salvaged for future use.
References
Comments
Well dressing details are available from the welldressing.com site run by Glyn Williams.

Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson