Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Women's Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC) (Lost)

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a lost war memorial well dressing commemorating the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC), at the roadside in Market St, Hayfield, Derbyshire.
Images
Setting Well dressing Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Locations
Last known location:
Roadside
Market St
Hayfield
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
SK22 2EP

NGR:
SK 03734 86961
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
On the western side of the war memorial compound.
Type
Overall type: Well dressing Overall condition: Lost


Description:

A temporary well dressing tableau traditionally made from vegetation pressed into clay held in a wooden frame, but today often including pebbles, chippings, beads, fabric etc. The dressing comprised a square panel bearing a depiction of a member of the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps in green uniform. In the background is a green military ambulance and a Union Flag, with the initials in the bottom left corner in yellow capital block lettering
The well dressing was displayed from 1st to 8th July, 2018 and was subsequently dismantled.

Glossary
Components:

Component Material Height Width Depth Condition
Mosaic Plant material,
stone, clay
c700 c700 c50 Lost
Frame Wood c700 c700 c50 Unknown
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
WA
AC
Conflicts and people named:
Conflict First World War (1914-1919) * Totals
Action Not stated
Number died 0 0
Number served and returned 0 0
Total names 0 0
* The Women's Army Auxiliary Corps existed in that name only from 1917 to 1918 when it was renamed Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps until it was disbanded in 1921.
Administration
Custodian: Blue Grass Purple Cow Pre-School Nursery.

Local authorities:
From 1974: Hayfield Parish Council; High Peak Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History and Conservation
Spring 2018: The memorial well dressing was designed and constructed by children and helpers from the Blue Grass Purple Cow Pre-School Nursery.

1st July, 2018: The memorial was blessed by the local clergy.

1st July, 2018: The memorial was photographed by Glyn Williams

9th July, 2018: The dressing was dismantled and the components salvaged for future use.
References
Comments
Well dressing details are available from the welldressing.com site run by Glyn Williams.

Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson