Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Church of St Mary the Virgin - WW1

Summary

Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a composite WW1 war memorial comprising a tablet and a cross at the Church of St Mary the Virgin, Higher Buxton, Derbyshire.
Images
Tablet setting Tablet Cross Cross inscription Click on a thumbnail
to see a larger image.
Further images may be
available on request.

Derelict cross Derelict base Base detail Click on a thumbnail to see larger
images of the derelict
cross before restoration.

Base prior to demolition. Salvaged cross Dismantling the base Dismantling the base Rubble core exposed
Stones numbered Click on a thumbnail to see larger images of the demolition.

Compacting the sub-base. Formwork Concrete core Rebuilding walls Base
General view. Pointing and topping off Plinth Cross replaced Click on a
thumbnail
to see the
reconstruction.
Locations
Last known location:
Church of St Mary the Virgin
Dale Rd (B5059)
Higher Buxton
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
SK17 6LN

NGR:
SK 05877 72954
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The cross is in the churchyard near the northwest corner of the church. The tablet is on the south wall of the Lady Chapel inside the church. The quoted grid reference is for the cross.

Previous location:
Churchyard
St Mary's Mission Church
Heath St
Higher Buxton
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
SK17 6LT

NGR:
SK 05938 72958 (estimated)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
It is said that the cross was originally erected to the south of the earlier Mission Church, close to Heath St and that it was moved to its present position during WW2. However, a photograph in Buxton Museum and Art Gallery is of the dedication ceremony with the cross clearly in its current location west of the new church which is visible in the view. Although the photograph is thought to be dated about 1919, the cross is more likely to have been erected in the early 1920s.

Can you tell us more about the history of this memorial?.
Type
Overall type: Composite (cross and tablet). Overall condition: Good. The inscriptions are legible and the memorial is cared for.


Description:

A composite memorial comprising a sandstone cross and a limestone tablet.
The canopied crucifix surmounts a tapered square pillar on a monolithic square battered pedestal with hollowed top, an ashlar plinth and a square base. The base originally comprised a loose rubble core with uncoursed rubble walls and an ashlar top, however the loose rubble core has been replaced by concrete.
The oblong wall-mounted limestone tablet is recessed into an in-situ moulded frame and bears inscriptions and names incised in upright capital roman lettering coloured black. The names are arranged in three columns.

The tablet is accompanied by other memorials and a wooden shelf for the placement of tributes, all of which are flanked by flags and candlesticks, but these are not considered to be part of the memorial.

Glossary
Components:

ComponentMaterialHeightWidthDepthCondition
Canopied crucifixSandstone720580 200Fair
Pillar (cross shaft)Sandstone1880240 240Fair
PedestalSandstone500730 730Fair
PlinthSandstone17011201110Fair
BaseSandstone, concrete4602470 2440Fair
TabletLimestone545700-Good
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
6 o'clock face of cross pedestal: 1914-1918
OUR GLORIOUS DEAD
R.I.P.

Tablet:
TO THE GLORY OF GOD
THE CHURCHYARD CROSS WAS ERECTED
IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THIS CHURCH
AND DISTRICT WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES
1914-1918
WILFRID. ARNOLDARCH. F. R. LINAKERGEORGE. E. SHELDON
WILL. E. G. BAGSHAWEJOSEPH LLOYDSYDNEY SKELLINGTON
JOHN. J. BARRETTC. WILLIAM MELLORWALTER SKIDMORE
WILLIAM E. BRUNTGEORGE MITCHELLCHARLES H. SMITH
ARTHUR COPELANDCHARLES MYCOCKARTHUR STARKEY
ALFRED EVANSGEORGE MYCOCKROBERT STARKEY
WILLIAM GOODWINLOUIS NEEDHAMJ. HENRY VAREY
WILLIAM GREGORYC. WILLIAM PERKINALFRED WARDLE
JOSEPH E. HARRISONHARRY PLANTWILLIAM WEBSTER
JAMES A. HOWEHARRY PORTERFRED C. WILLIAMS
PERCIVAL INNESPERCY PORTERARTHUR WILLIAMSON
JOSEPH KEELINGALLAN REDFERNTHOMAS C. WILSON
SYDNEY T. KEELINGJOHN M. ROBINSONCHARLES WOODWARD
ARTHUR KITCHEN CLIFFORD WOODWARD
THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE

Conflicts and people named:
ConflictFirst World War (1914-1919)Totals
Action or eventNot stated
Number died4141
Number served and returned 0 0
Total names4141
Administration
Custodian: Presumed to be the parochial church council

Local authorities:
From WW1: Buxton Parish Council, Buxton Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Unparished; High Peak Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History and Conservation
1920s: The cross was erected. Although it has been suggested that it was originally sited east of the present church, this seems unlikely and it is believed to have only ever been in its present location west of the present church.

1920s: The cross was dedicated in its present location, east of the present church.

1920s: The tablet was installed inside the church. It states that the cross "was erected" which implies that the cross was already in place before the tablet was installed.

1939-1945: It has been suggested that the cross was moved to present location, but this now seems unlikely.

31st January, 1997: The church was listed Grade II, Heritage List for England number 1259380. (This afforded protection for the tablet but not the cross.)

2001: It was reported that a possible inscription on the 12 o'clock face of the pedestal had become illegible due to erosion, but it is now believed that any marks on that face are mason's dressing marks. The base had recently been partially renewed.

15th December, 2008: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in fair condition and cared for.

6th August, 2011: The base had become damaged by heavy frosts during the previous winter. It had become dangerous and was fenced off. A restoration appeal launched.

August-September, 2012: The cross was dismantled and rebuilt by 73 Engineer Regiment (Volunteers), Royal Engineers, as part of their community programme. The work was supported by a grant of £852 from the War Memorials Trust, reference WM4833, and grants from the Bingham Trust and the Satterthwaite Trust.

13th November, 2012: The cross was surveyed by Eric Naden. Structurally it was in excellent condition and its weathered appearance had been preserved.

1 July, 2013: The cross was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in good condition.

14th February, 2017: The cross was listed Grade II, Heritage List for England number 1436521. (This afforded protection for the cross but not the tablet.

8th September, 2018: The tablet was surveyed by Roy Branson and Anne Branson. It was in good condition.
References
Photograph of the dedication service for the cross; Buxton Museum and Art Gallery, erference DCBM001074.

Buxton Advertiser; 6th August, 2011: report on the appeal for funding to restore the memorial.

Ibid; 24th August, 2012: report and photograph of soldiers from 73 Engineer Regiment (Volunteers), Royal Engineers beginning to dismantle the memorial prior to its reconstrucyion.

Church booklet; "A history and guide"; Anon; St Mary's Church 2017.
Comments
Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson