|
| | Home | Search | About war memorials | About us | Other projects |
|
Memorial Title St Lawrence's Church
|
|
Summary Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a war memorial at St Lawrence's Church, Great Barlow comprising a cross and tablet commemorating WW1 and WW2.
|
|
Images
|
|
|
|
|
Click in a thumbnail to see a larger image. Further images may be available on request.
|
|
|
Locations
|
Last known location: St Lawrence's Churchyard Hackney La (B6051) Great Barlow Derbyshire
|
Nearest postcode: S18 7TR
NGR: SK 34436 74697 (From online digital mapping.)
|
Location details: The parish church signboard clearly identifies the village as Great Barlow but maps and other references refer to it as just Barlow. The cross is in the churchyard, between the road and the porch. The tablet is inside the church, at the west end of the south wall of the nave.
|
|
|
Type
|
Overall type: Cross.
|
Overall condition: Poor. The inscription is legible.
|
Description:
The memorial has two principal elements: a churchyard cross and a tablet inside the church.
An existing churchyard monument, described as a cross, comprises a square sandstone pillar with tapering chamfers surmounting a circular four-step sandstone base. This was modified by carving the dates on the pillar and by adding a canopied cross on the top. This cross has square wooden limbs and a semicircular canopy made up of wooden boards with a metal covering. The top two steps of the base have been replaced with concrete which has itself now deteriorated significantly.
The oblong limestone tablet has a stone frame painted black, all of which is recessed flush with the surface of the wall. The original WW1 inscription comprised a heading with 24 names in three columns and a quotation and dates at the foot. Seven WW2 names were subsequently added, but squeezed in at different locations on the tablet. All of the inscription and names are incised in upright capital roman lettering, but the WW2 names appear to be slightly darker.
Glossary
|
Components:
| Component |
Material |
Height |
Width |
Depth |
Condition |
| Pillar |
Sandstone |
2280 |
250 |
250 |
Fair |
| Base |
Sandstone, concrete |
950 |
2000 |
dia |
Poor |
| Cross |
Wood, metal |
c800 |
c900 |
c300 |
Fair |
| Tablet |
Limestone |
435 |
800 |
- |
Fair |
| Frame |
Stone |
500 |
865 |
- |
Fair |
| Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
|
|
|
|
Inscription
|
| 6 o'clock face of pillar:
|
| 1914
|
| 12 o'clock face of pillar:
|
| 1918
|
| Tablet:
|
|
| REMEMBER LORD THESE THY SERVANTS |
| THOMAS BOOKER, | FRED DAY, | MAYNARD SIMPSON, |
| ERNEST BRAMHALL, | JOHN JENKINSON | GEORGE TETLOW, |
| VERNON BRUNT, | GEORGE JENKINSON | ALBERT SMITH, |
| JOHN CROOKES, | ROY KINGSTON | HARRY WHITE, |
| CHARLES CLAYTON, | FRED MARGERISON | HARRY WILSON, |
| MAURICE FLETCHER, | JOE MILLINGTON | ALFRED WRIGHT, |
| HENRY HOWARTH, | RAYMOND PLATTS | OLIVER WRAGG, |
| VERNON HOLLILEY, | WILLIAM RICHARDS | FREDERICK WARD, |
| GEORGE HAMPSON, | WILFRID TURNER | WILLIAM LONG, |
| LEONARD WALKER, | CLIFFORD WARD, | JOHN WARD, |
| WHO DIED FOR US, AND GRANT THEM THINE ETERNAL REST, AMEN. |
| WILLIAM FISHER |
1914, 1939 |  | 1918, 1945 |
[The WW2 names appear slightly darker on the tablet and are marked here in bold.] |
|
|
| Conflicts and people named:
|
| Conflict |
First World War (1914-1919) |
Second World War (1939-1945) |
Totals |
| Action |
— |
| Number died |
24 |
7 |
31 |
| Number served and returned |
0 |
0 |
0 |
| Total names |
24 |
7 |
31 |
|
|
Administration
|
Custodian: Presumed to be the parochial church council.
Local authorities: From WW1: Barlow Parish Council; Chesterfield Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council. From 1974: Barlow Parish Council; North East Derbyshire District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
|
|
History
|
1921: The churchyard cross was modified and the tablet provided to create a composite memorial.
1945: Seven names were added to the tablet.
31st January, 1967: The church was listed Grade II*, Heritage List for England number 1033277.
July 1979: The church and churchyard cross lie within the Barlow Conservation Area first designated on that date.
17th August 2016: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. The tablet was in fair condition but the cross, especially the base, was in poor condition.
|
|
References
|
| Barlow, A brief history of the Church, village and well-dressings; C W Hanford; revised 2015.
|
|
Comments
|
| Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
|
|
| Page © Roy Branson
|