Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Repton School - WW1 and WW2

Summary

Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a composite WW1 and WW2 war memorial comprising a cross and tablet commemorating the fallen of Repton School, Repton, Derbyshire.
Images
Setting Cross Lantern Base Tablet WW1 names Left WW2 names Right WW2 names
Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image. Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
The Garth
Repton School
Willington Rd (B5008)
Repton
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE65 6FH

NGR:
SK 30358 27188
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
The Garth is a quadrangle within the school campus and is not accessible to the public except by arrangement.
Type
Overall type: Composite. Overall condition: Fair. The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.


Description:

A composite memorial comprising a cross and tablet erected after WW1 and extended after WW2. (However, see the comments section below.)

The sandstone cross has an oblong carved lantern head, the 6 o'clock face of which bears a crucifix within a niche under a gabled top; the other faces similar but containing other figures.  It is supported on a tapered polygonal column terminating in an oblong foot surmounting an oblong base with canted corners, a bevelled top, a hollowed moulding around the top edge and an oblong panel on the 6 o'clock face bearing the school coat of arms in relief. This surmounts an octagonal ashlar pedestal with integral projecting cap, a plinth with hollowed upper batter and a carved latin inscription in relief in a band around the face. The whole surmounts a two-step octagonal base and is surrounded by paving.

The original tablet was composed of nine upright oblong panels bearing names and surrounded to the top and sides by a broad border with moulded edges and a sinuous motif of oak leaves. This was surrounded by plain marble panels forming an outer frame with a depiction of the school shield in blue and gold at top left and a gilded depiction of the patron saint at top right. At the top centre is an oblong panel bearing a gilded inscription incised in upright capital roman lettering, and at the foot is another oblong panel bearing the dates in similar lettering. After WW2 the tablet was extended in a similar style with three further name panels to each side, a carved wreath to each top corner, and the dates at the foot. The names are in black upright capital roman lettering arranged in alphabetical order within each year when they attended the school.

Glossary
Components:

ComponentMaterialHeightWidthDepthCondition
Lantern headSandstonec1200c600 c400Fair
ColumnSandstone2470305255Fair
PedestalSandstone580940920Fair
PlinthSandstone48016401770Fair
2-step baseSandstone27030903090Fair
PavingStone-c2100c2100Fair
TabletWhite marble19459210-Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
Around the circumference of the cross pedestal in a single line:
ADI AUDEM DEI ET IN HONOREM FRATUM QUI MORTE OBITA SALUTEM
NOBIS SIBI GLORIAM COMPARAVERE MCMXIV-XVIII

[The glory of God and to the honour of our brothers who, by meeting their death,
won safety for us and glory for themselves. 1914-18]

On the tablet:
THESE DIED FOR ENGLAND
WW2
names
col 1
WW2
names
col 2
WW2
names
col 3
WW1
names
col 1
WW1
names
col 2
WW1
names
col 3
WW1
names
col 4
WW1
names
col 5
WW1
names
col 6
WW1
names
col 7
WW1
names
col 8
WW1
names
col 9
WW2
names
col 4
WW2
names
col 5
WW2
names
col 6
1939-1945 1914-1918 1939-1945

Conflicts and people named:
ConflictFirst World War (1914-1919)Second World War (1939-1945)Totals
Action or eventNot statedNot stated
Number died355188543
Number served and returned 0 0 0
Total names355188543
Administration
Custodian: Presumed to be the school managers.

Local authorities:
From WW1: Repton Parish Council, Repton Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From WW2: Repton Parish Council, Repton Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Repton Parish Council, South Derbyshire District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History and Conservation
1921: The cross was designed by Forsyth & Maule, Architects of Oxford Street, London

c1922: The cost for the full scheme was c£20,000.

1th November, 1922: The memorial was unveiled by Maj Gen Sir John Burnett-Stuart, GCB KBE DSO DL, Director of Military Operations and Intelligence, and dedicated by the Rt Rev Edwyn Hoskyns DD, Bishop of Southwell.

c1948: The WW2 names were added to the tablet.

10th July, 1949: The tablet extension was unveiled by Lt Gen Sir Charles Gairdner, GBE KCMG KCVO CB and dedicated by the Most Rev Dr Geoffrey Fisher, Archbishop of Canterbury.

17th July, 1969: The Repton Conservation area was first designated. The memorial lies within it.

24th October, 1986: The cross was listed Grade II, Heritage List for England number 1057696.

2014: Restoration of the memorial was funded by the Old Reptonian Lodge No 3725.

22nd August, 2018: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in fair condition and well cared for.
References
Derbyshire Advertiser; 30th June, 1922; p7 col3; a report on the annual speech day including information regarding the memorial.

Derby Telegraph; 13th November, 1922, p5: an extensive report on the unveiling ceremony.

Derbyshire Advertiser and Journal; 17th November, 1922; p5: a brief report on the unveiling ceremony.

Derby Telegraph; 5th July, 1949; p3: a report on the unveiling of the WW2 tablet.

Ibid; 11th July, 1949: p7 col4; a photograph and report on the unveiling of the WW2 tablet.
Comments
Following the end of WW1 the school developed an extensive scheme to demolish and modify some features of the historic buildings on the site and redevelop them into a composite memorial including the following features: restoration of the priory garth; erection of a cross; renovation of the cloister; erection of an inscribed tablet; opening up of the western slype; completion of the undercroft; a new staircase and approach to the gallery; removal of an unsightly brick wall; provision of a covered portico in the garth and improvements to the entrance to Pears School. After WW2 the tablet was extended to include those who fell in WW2. That work resulted in the composite memorial described on this page.

Other parts of the WW1 scheme were to include the provision of a vellum roll of honour and a new lectern in the chapel to hold it; the compilation of a collection of photographs of the fallen and the compilation of an album of photographs of the priory before and after its reconstruction. Because those features were of a different nature, were provided at different times and were to be located in different places, they are not considered to be part of this present memorial and are to be addressed elswhere.

Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson