Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Ingleby Foremarke and Milton

Summary
Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW1 war memorial tablet for Ingleby Foremarke and Milton, on the village hall, Milton, Derbyshire.
Images
Setting Memorial Inscription Inscription Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
Village Hall
Main St
Milton
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
DE65 6EF

NGR:
SK 32068 26407 ±5m
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
On the outside wall, facing the road.
Type
Overall type: Tablet Overall condition: Good. The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.


Description:

Believed to have originally been a rectangular white marble tablet with a cornice and recurved pediment with victors' laurel wreath in relief and inlaid dates at the head and two brackets at the foot. However, the memorial was removed during building maintenance and the tablet collapsed, leaving only the cornice and pediment. These were stored in the village hall and subsequently added to a new tablet modelled on the original and with an incised inscription in upright capital roman letering infilled in black. The memorial surmounts a stone frame which is used for the placement of tributes.

Glossary
Components:

ComponentMaterialHeightWidthDepthCondition
Cornice and PedimentWhite marble290820 70Fair
Tablet White marblec760c760 c40Pristine
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
Inscription
1914  1919
INGLEBY FOREMARKE AND MILTON
IN GRATEFUL MEMORY
OF THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES
IN THE GREAT WAR.
GUY HARTLEY ARNOLDRUPERT ARNOLD
WILLIAM BAILEYFREDERICK BAMFORD
JAMES BAMFORDLEONARD DRISCOLL
SAMUEL FORMANPERCY STEVENSON
J. L. MALPASS
Conflicts and people named:
ConflictFirst World War (1914-1919)Totals
Action or eventNot stated
Number died99
Number served and returned00
Total names99
Administration
Custodian: Presumed to be the village hall managers.

Local authorities:
From WW1: Repton Parish Council; Repton Rural District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Repton Parish Council; South Derbyshire District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History and Conservation
July 1922: The memorial was erected on the west gable of the former mission hall, above the porch.

27th July, 1922: The memorial was unveiled by Sir Francis Burdett Bt and dedicated by Rev S J Selwyn, Vicar of Repton and Formarke.

Unknown date: The mission hall became unused and the building was converted to a village hall.

1980s: The main part of the memorial containing the inscription became eroded and collapsed on removal during building maintenance. The surviving pediment and cornice were placed inside the porch.

19th December, 2013: The pediment and cornice were surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. They were in fair condition and cared for.

c2014: A new new inscribed tablet was procured and mounted on the external wall, surmounted by the original pediment and cornice.

11th November, 2018: The reconstituted memorial was photographed by Richard Roberts. It was in good condition and cared for.
References
Derby Telegraph; 29th July, 1922; p4: a report of the unveiling ceremony.
Comments
Ingleby Foremarke and Milton are three adjacent small villages near Repton. Foremarke is now usually spelt Foremark.

Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson