Derbyshire War Memorials
|  Home  |  Search  |  About war memorials  |  About us |  Other projects  |  
Memorial Title

Long Eaton - WW2 Roll of Honour

Summary

Derbyshire War Memorials: a description of a WW2 war memorial roll of honour in the Town Hall at Long Eaton, Derbyshire.
Images
Setting Memorial Click on a thumbnail to see a larger image.
Further images may be available on request.
Locations
Last known location:
Council Chamber
Town Hall
Derby Rd (A6005)
Long Eaton
Derbyshire
Nearest postcode:
NG10 1HU

NGR:
SK 49008 33920
(From online digital mapping.)
(Map opens in new window.)
Location details:
On the rear wall of the council chamber.

Previous location:
Not known
Nearest postcode:
-

NGR:
-
Location details:
The building was only constructed in the 1970s so the memorial must have previously been located elsewhere.

Can you tell us where this memorial was previously located?.
Type
Overall type: Roll of honour. Overall condition: Fair. The inscription is legible and the memorial is cared for.


Description:

A framed and glazed roll of honour on paper. The upper panel has the titles in a wide narrow band spanning the four lower panels which contain the names in lower case black calligraphy with each new initial rubricated. The moulded wooden frame has thin glazing bars.

Glossary
Components:

ComponentMaterialHeightWidthDepthCondition
RollPaper---Fair
FrameWood, glass1080192040Fair
Dimensions in millimetres ±5mm unless stated otherwise.
1939 ROLL OF HONOUR 1945 1945

Names,
panel 1:
Adcock
to
Doncaster

Names,
panel 2:
Dorkes
to
Hutchinson

Names,
panel 3:
Jackson
to
Pratt

Names,
panel 4:
Pratt
to
Worthington

Conflicts and people named:
ConflictSecond World War (1939-1945)Totals
Action or eventNot stated
Number died282282
Number served and returned 0 0
Total names282282
Administration
Custodian: Erewash Borough Council

Local authorities:
From WW2: Long Eaton Parish Council; Long Eaton Urban District Council; Derbyshire County Council.
From 1974: Erewash Borough Council; Derbyshire County Council.
History and Conservation
Unknown date c1950: The memorial was mounted in its original location.

Unknown date: The memorial was removed from its former site and mounted in its present location.

1993: The Long Eaton Town Centre Conservation Area was first designated; the Town Hall lies within it.

1st October, 2009: The memorial was surveyed by Roy Branson and Alan Willmot. It was in fair condition and cared for.
References
Comments
Can you add to or correct anything on this page? Let us know.
Page © Roy Branson